View Single Post
seizure

Member Since May 2003
Default Sep 11, 2003 at 12:40 PM

Hi everyone. Even though I have been a member since May, I haven't posted many messages (although I do read most of the posts made here).Several advances have been made in the area of ECT. The notion that the treatment is barbaric is a common one, but it is certainly not supported by the medical community at large. My father has had a few series of shock treatments since the late 70's and would not have been able to live without them, as he, too, was depressed so severely that he rarely got out of bed (before receiving them). The treatments for depression are numerous and depend on the individual's predicament and the medical staff involved. I don't think we should pass judgment on anyone or any type of therapy....perhaps an effort to unconditionally support our peers would have a somewhat more beneficial outcome. The nature of depression does, sometimes, give us tunnel vision, however. My hope is that we may all find our way through life without resorting to self-abuse and/or suicide.The support found here is one of the ways we are able to attempt to accomplish that. I try my best not to interfere too much because the written word is often misunderstood even moreso than a live, face-to-face conversation. As far as my dad's situation goes, I know that the loss of memory issues surrounding ECT scared him, but his memory did return after a few weeks, and the benefits by far outnumbered the negative aspects. I wish all of the members here inner peace and contentment. Take care.

seizure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote