View Single Post
kittykins9

kittykins9 has no updates.

15 yr Member
Angry Feb 07, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Help,
I'm new to this forum but looked for it because I am encountering terrible difficulty letting go of a former therapist with whom I worked for 10 years. Circumstances made it necessary for me to give this therapist to my son who was dealing with major suicidal issues. At first, because we were down to maintenance work-- this really wasn't that difficult. But over the last few months it's gotten terrible, and I miss my old therapist constantly. He did make it very clear that he was unable to treat two members ofthe same family, so there's no going back, and frankly my son needs the work too much for me to ask him to find a new therapist.

Yet I hate the fact that I had to make this wretched choice. We spent so much time dealing with me recovering and gaining stability after diagnosis with bipolar II, and we did delve quite a bit into the transference stuff, which I really felt like I was over to a great degree. Now I feel like I've lost the central being in my life and I am in so much grief it's affecting every aspect of my existence.

I am working with a new therapist, as per my agreement with my old one, and she's pretty good. But there's nothing like the comfort level I had with my former therapist, and I feel so extremely alone, I just don't what to do.
This has made former destructive thoughts and feelings come to mind, that I spent a long time getting rid of.

If anyone out there has had experience losing a treasured therapist, or could offer any advice (I've read just every article online that I could find already), it would so help. I just did not expect the extent of my grief and I fell like I've lost me and my path to sanity in the process.

Help and thanks in advance
kittykins9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
HelpMe2013, Sameer6

Thanks for this!
HelpMe2013