View Single Post
Berries
Magnate

Member Since Nov 2008
Default Feb 07, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt2132 View Post
I think I may be bipolar. (Those words seem to be so common around here). But I really am too afraid to actually go to the doctor. I tried going to a psychologist. About 20 minutes into the session, he stopped me and gave me the number to a psychiatrist. He told me he couldn't help me. For a while, I could only focus on the words: "I can't help you". If he can't help me, who can?

How hard is it to take that first step?
I am so sorry you were treated that way.

It is awful that, that happened to you. Please know that, that psychologist is the exception!!! Most people in that profession would never have said that to you!!!

You can be helped!!! And most psychologists CAN help.

This one must have been an idiot and a very insensitive one as well.

No one can be diagnosed in 20 minutes, anyway.

And if you do, in fact, have bipolar, which you may very well, the standard treatment is:
1. Medication (long-term) prescribed by a psychiatrist
2. Psychotherapy (long-term) with a psychologist ( a phd, psyd, or a master’s in psychology), social worker, or a psychiatrist
3. Stress Management (long-term)
It is not an easy illness. Bipolar is chronic, severe, debilitating, disabling. But it is NOT hopeless. You CAN be helped!!!!

I hope you keep looking for help. I hope you keep posting here on PC. There are a lot of very nice, knowledgeable people here who can help you through all of this.
Please let us know how you are doing.
Berries is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
HealingNSuffering, MyHeadHurts, sugahorse1