View Single Post
Rapunzel
Legendary

Member Since Jun 2003
132 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 12, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I'm not sure if I will end up following a regular outline for this chat, or just discussing what comes up. We will see. One thing I notice with DBT is that almost anything that may be happening can usually be viewed in terms of any aspect of DBT, including whichever skill you might be focusing on right now.

Today, we talked about Interpersonal Effectiveness, which is a lot like Assertiveness Training, except with more emphasis on developing skills for accepting that it is your right and your responsibility to ask for what you want and need, or say no when it is appropriate, then learning how to do that in a way that helps you to meet your objectives, and enhances your relationship, and maintains or builds your self-respect.

We talked about some of the myths that keep us from being as effective as we could be. You can read more about those myths, such as "I can't stand it if someone gets upset at me" here:

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/ie_handout_4.html

Feel free to look ahead to the next page on that site for more help countering the myths, or at anything else that interests you.

If you have questions, or want to discuss anything you find, you are welcome to bring it up on next week's chat, post it here, and/or PM me.

Hugs from:
Buffy01

Thanks for this!
Beth1957, Buffy01, phoenix7