View Single Post
sky dancer
Account Suspended
sky dancer has no updates.

15 yr Member
Default Mar 07, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I'm ready to quit if I must. I'm on a path to wholeness. That includes being who I am fully.

I don't understand why saying I was raised a Catholic and currently practice Buddhism is forbidden.

It makes no sense to me. My Buddhist path since 1982 has been the source of most of my world views, and the most complementary skill building for mental health I've had. Research clearly indicates that meditation alters the brain.

Why would that be an unacceptable topic in a psych forum?

Why is the word God and Holy Spirit allowed but Buddha or Allah is not?

I'd like to stay because this website has resources that I can benefit from and I think I can benefit from others--but even asking questions about this policy seems to be threatening to the administration and moderators.

Please don't make psych central a 'cult' by censoring topics that are important to healing. Please allow discussion of policy.

Even in the social services programs I worked in--funded by government money--faith based resources were in our care plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowzz View Post
Posts of a spiritual nature are allowed.

Posts referring to specific religeons are unfortunately not.

The reason for this is because it is such a sensitive issue, that it simply most often leads to arguments and fighting. The same thing goes for politics. We are asked to keep these to a minimum.

Under the heading of the Spiritual Forum, we see the following:
This Sanctuary is a place for people of all spiritual beliefs and faiths to offer support and compassion to each other in the form of prayers, meditation, and expressions of spirituality. This forum is for support, not religious debate.

Unfortunately in the past when we had this forum open to religeous discussion, it often became negative and led to many bad feelings on the part of multiple members.

DocJohn has this to say:

We're going to move forward with a new plan for this forum, for better or worse, because the current state of affairs is simply untenable. We have lost members over hurt and upset caused by this forum and by some members' focus on specific religious doctrine and dogma over the more general spirituality we've always intended here.

Some members have chosen to use this forum as a place to express their point of view, sometimes trying to drown out others'. Other members see this as a soap box to evangelize.

We need to go back to the original mandate of the forum -- that it is about spirituality and not specific religions. Discussion -- even positive discussion -- of specific religions or religious doctrine will not be allowed going forward. It is the specific religious talk that seems to cause the most trouble.

For members who cannot or will not stick to discussions of spirituality, after a warning, and if the member continues, they will be placed into a "no access" to this forum group. They will still be able to access all other forums here, but just not this one.

If, after a few weeks with the renewed emphasis of this forum, we still see too many members struggling to keep topics to spirituality and not specific religions or religious doctrine, we will move this forum to a "Requests for Prayer and Thoughts" format instead, and do away with a spirituality discussion forum altogether.

I'm sorry it has come to this, but there has be a change here in the interests of the entire community.

DocJohn

Originally posted here

I hope that we can all understand why this change was made, and move forward with the new forum ideals.

Hugs from:
AllonsY

Thanks for this!
AllonsY, Rapunzel