View Single Post
spiritual_emergency
Grand Poohbah

spiritual_emergency has no updates.

15 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Locust: Sometimes certain mental illnesses revolve around religion a lot, such as delusions, paranoia, and OCD. In fact, I don't know how it is possible to avoid it when discussing the third.

A few weeks ago, in the Schizophrenia topic, I had made a book recommendation titled Archetype of the Apocalypse. The subtitle of the book was: A Jungian Interpretation of the Book of Revelations. Apparently the book has been recently re-released with the subtitle Divine Vengeance, Terrorism, and the End of the World. This is how a schizophrenic experience can feel -- one's sense of self-identity is shattered, blown apart, annihilated; what amounts to an "Inner Apocalypse" and may include all the attendant characters one might expect if they were dead.

I'm not certain how anyone could read that thread and arrive at the conclusion that I was discussing religion but all it took was one individual to make the accusation that the "schizophrenics were getting to do something others couldn't" and suddenly... schizophrenics could no longer freely discuss schizophrenic experiences in the schizophrenia topic.

I've not posted in the schizophrenia topic since then although I do continue to speak openly and candidly with other individuals who carry a diagnosis of schizophrenia -- I just don't do it here.

I have also, with a bit of coercion, been having what I think is a very interesting and intelligent conversation in the social groups area. The bulk of that conversation has taken place between myself and another individual who I believe was also once considered schizophrenic. That discussion is largely hidden away where the world can't see it although certainly, the world at large will have ample opportunity to see other aspects of schizophrenia and form some conclusions accordingly.

Oddly enough, no one outside of that social group seems to have felt the need to come into that discussion even though we have used all the bad words at least once. I fail to grasp why the same degree of respect and tolerance that seems to be extended to other members in the social groups area could not find a place here, in the main discussion area.

I do know this much though -- failure to do so is damaging and produces harm.

~ Namaste

See also: Fight Club: A Schizophrenic Process?

~ Kindness is cheap. It's unkindness that always demands the highest price.

Last edited by spiritual_emergency; Mar 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM..

Thanks for this!
LaborIntensive, Malady156, Miracle1986, Rapunzel