advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #31
theoretical
Member
 
theoretical's Avatar
theoretical is feeling skeletal
 
Member Since: Jun 2019
Location: South Canada
Posts: 338 (SuperPoster!)
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag4170 View Post
I do a lot of good things, and I just get this strange chill up my spine. The strange thing about me is that I don't think about getting rewards for doing good. I just do it so that I look like a good person. And maybe in trying, that does make me a good person.
No, I think genuinely good people will do good even if those actions appear bad to others. However, I think few people have the balls to commit to an action when everyone else is going against them. It takes just the right balance of concern over others and moral integrity. Psychopaths are lacking in both of these things. Consequently, I think psychopaths are capable of doing great things because they do have the balls to commit to an action even in the face of opposition, but the underlying motivator is always going to be selfish and usually has to do with them being bored.

Reporter: "Sir, why did you risk your life to save this woman from her attacker?"
Heroic psychopath: "Because I wanted to fight some-- Err... Because she needed to be rescued."

Quote:
I have no particular desire to be evil, but the compulsions to do twisted things are ridiculously strong, so I tend to isolate myself when I have them. Not because I would feel guilty, but because I know there are consequences. Psychopaths generally tend to be very successful in their careers and personal lives. It's their sense of grandiosity and power that compel them to be successful by any means. They are very ambitious. I think it's just a matter of their opinion on what success is. It could be politics, amassing knowledge, or in some cases, to be as notorious as possible. Not sure how much of this is fact, but it's what I've noticed personally and is my own opinion.
What sort of twisted things?

I don't feel compelled to do "evil" things, but I tend to disregard any sort of social decorum when I get in one of these moods, only restraining myself enough that I don't get into trouble, and sometimes failing even that. And yeah, I try to isolate myself if I know it's something that'll get me into serious trouble. But I don't want to do that anymore. Do you know how much we could get accomplished if only we could control what triggers these compulsions?
theoretical is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #32
-jimi-
Jimi the rat
 
-jimi-'s Avatar
-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 6,166
10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

LoL, the Sims. Brings out a memory from when the game was quite new and my neighbor hadn't been caught lying to me and backstabbing me, and hadn't "borrowed" all my savings yet...

She was quite easy going and easy to hang out with, she liked when I popped over just to hang out, she would call me and tell me she put the kettle on.

When she played the Sims, she tried to find all ways of killing them. She had a main Sim that always survived, but she killed off everyone else in her Sim home eventually. She had a graveyard where she collected her tombstone.

And, nope, I didn't react at all to that. Now I know I should have.
__________________
-jimi- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #33
-jimi-
Jimi the rat
 
-jimi-'s Avatar
-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 6,166
10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretical View Post
Psychopaths are lacking in both of these things. Consequently, I think psychopaths are capable of doing great things because they do have the balls to commit to an action even in the face of opposition, but the underlying motivator is always going to be selfish and usually has to do with them being bored.

Reporter: "Sir, why did you risk your life to save this woman from her attacker?"
Heroic psychopath: "Because I wanted to fight some-- Err... Because she needed to be rescued."
Psychopaths lack the most fundamental fear, social pressure. When strangers need help, sometimes they don't get it because normals feel awkward about helping. So they just remove themselves from the situation. While the psychopath could not just save someone, they could simply help out in an everyday situation when no one else is stepping up. Not afraid of looking odd. And killing some boredom at the same time.

What I like the most about the psychopaths I've met is that not only will they tell me whatever they want to say, without sugarcoating it, if they find it unnecessary, they provide a different perspective. A new perspective is often something we need. If everyone else gives the same answers, sometimes we need something fresh. And usually they don't get angry if I disagree with them, it's more like a game than something they take uber seriously. Normals can tense up quite fast.

Now of course all psychopaths aren't the same, I understand that. And some are quite negative. But lacking what they lack and having what they have doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing.
__________________
-jimi- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:05 AM   #34
Dag4170
Junior Member
Dag4170 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2019
Location: Washington
Posts: 12
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

The twisted things I have compulsions are very unpleasant. Talking about it usually gets me in trouble. I won't even tell a therapist about it after they went all Tarsoff on my ***. I lost my job because of the Tarasoff rule.

Its true that psychopaths have some advantages. Not feeling guilt is a plus. It would be great to learn how to direct what gives psychopaths compulsions. They could do so much.

On the Sims, it was always fun to trap neighbors, ex girlfriends, mothers in law, and even firefighters in a tiny room and watch them go crazy. I did give them a sink because it was amusing to watch them pre themselves lol. Another one of my favorites was building a big pool, inviting people to swim in it, and then building railings all around it so they couldn't get out. I never bothered with gravestones. I had a badass gnome collection.
Dag4170 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #35
theoretical
Member
 
theoretical's Avatar
theoretical is feeling skeletal
 
Member Since: Jun 2019
Location: South Canada
Posts: 338 (SuperPoster!)
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jimi- View Post
What I like the most about the psychopaths I've met is that not only will they tell me whatever they want to say, without sugarcoating it, if they find it unnecessary, they provide a different perspective. A new perspective is often something we need. If everyone else gives the same answers, sometimes we need something fresh. And usually they don't get angry if I disagree with them, it's more like a game than something they take uber seriously. Normals can tense up quite fast.
Right, that's another thing I've been meaning to look further into. A remark I hear fairly often is that I "think differently" or that I give unusual answers. I've heard the same about psychopaths in general, and I've been wondering what exactly people mean by that. Maybe our lack of emotion allows us to consider things that wouldn't even cross the minds of normal people?

And what the hell are normal people thinking that they can't see something so blatantly obvious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag4170 View Post
The twisted things I have compulsions are very unpleasant.
I'll show you yours if you show me mine.

Wait, that didn't come out right.

Or did it?

Quote:
Its true that psychopaths have some advantages. Not feeling guilt is a plus. It would be great to learn how to direct what gives psychopaths compulsions. They could do so much.
Psychopaths have a lot of advantages; you just need to know how and when to use them.
theoretical is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #36
theoretical
Member
 
theoretical's Avatar
theoretical is feeling skeletal
 
Member Since: Jun 2019
Location: South Canada
Posts: 338 (SuperPoster!)
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretical View Post
And what the hell are normal people thinking that they can't see something so blatantly obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretical View Post
Narcissists are pretty easy to handle once you realize that all they've got is emotional manipulation.
Really? I didn't see it that way. I suppose I would feel better if I saw her behavioral problems as a weakness that can be manipulated rather than something that plagues my life.

Thank you for your insight.
Case in point.

Serious question: How is it not obvious to people that narcissists are actually weak-willed and easy to manipulate?
theoretical is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 AM   #37
Dag4170
Junior Member
Dag4170 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2019
Location: Washington
Posts: 12
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

People are blind I guess. It's way too easy to manipulate a narcissist. All you have to do is play into their heightened ego and you can do whatever you want to them. Hell, I had a narcissist wife. I could plant ideas in her head and get her to believe it was her idea. Another fun thing to do wad to teach her a new word. She would use it over and over til I got tired of it and taught her a new one.
Dag4170 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #38
theoretical
Member
 
theoretical's Avatar
theoretical is feeling skeletal
 
Member Since: Jun 2019
Location: South Canada
Posts: 338 (SuperPoster!)
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag4170 View Post
People are blind I guess. It's way too easy to manipulate a narcissist. All you have to do is play into their heightened ego and you can do whatever you want to them. Hell, I had a narcissist wife. I could plant ideas in her head and get her to believe it was her idea. Another fun thing to do wad to teach her a new word. She would use it over and over til I got tired of it and taught her a new one.
Willfully blind!

Normal people will fall for the same **** 29 times and still be surprised the 30th time. I just don't get it.
theoretical is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #39
-jimi-
Jimi the rat
 
-jimi-'s Avatar
-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 6,166
10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any psychopaths still around?

I had a narcissist doctor long time ago. It was like some weird battle between us. Then I realized to get something I wanted, I need to play her. I didn't like it because it would put me in a pretend position where I was sort of way down the ladder. It felt icky. But I needed what I wanted so I decided to really overdo it, I don't remember why I did. But I was so surprised, not that I got my way because I counted on that, sucking up to her and telling her things she wanted to hear, but that she didn't understand how fake I was. Anyone else would have seen how much I overdid it. Yes, so easily fooled.

I have some minor narcissistic tendencies but not at all like that, so I try to be aware of nice people. But it is still sooooo nice to hear nice things about me in the areas I find important! (Yum!)

About playing Sims, I would have been the worst psychopath candidate and so obviously not a psychopath, LOL. I only liked to create my character and build my home. I just liked to make it great. I though a lot about how it would be to really live there. Once I had built my house, I got tired of the game.
__________________
-jimi- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.