45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas. - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 PM #1
imchet imchet is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31
imchet imchet is offline
Member
imchet has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31

Default 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Got results from neuropsych eval. Evidently my attention is in the bottom five percent of the population. My intelligence is in the 91st percentile, so I've been smart enough to hide it, or laugh it off, but my utter lack if transitional and organizational skills keeps coming back to haunt me. So, I know this is very real for me. Not sure what to do, I've always picked up another distraction, a new hobby, a new carrer, a nrw degree but it somehow now feels do futile to throw myself in a new direction only to crash and burn in a year or two.
imchet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 06-10-2018, 05:00 PM #2
Skeezyks's Avatar
Skeezyks Skeezyks is offline
Apparition
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 17,338
Skeezyks Skeezyks is offline
Apparition
Skeezyks's Avatar
Skeezyks has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 17,338 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
12.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully you'll get some ideas, from being here on PC, as to what to do. I've been a person all my life, it seems like, who's never been satisfied to stick with anything for very long. I think it would be good to be able to find one thing you love, stick with it for the long haul, & become really expert at it. Unfortunately that has never been me. Perhaps it can now be you?
__________________
Speak only if you can improve upon the silence.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:27 PM #3
imchet imchet is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31
imchet imchet is offline
Member
imchet has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31

Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Sounds strangely familiar... I'm sure I could keep busy and productive, but it's hard to imagine a job that would make a living at this point.
imchet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:28 PM #4
octoberful's Avatar
octoberful octoberful is online now
Grand Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: -
Posts: 853
octoberful octoberful is online now
Grand Member
octoberful's Avatar
octoberful Object Relations Evangelist
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: -
Posts: 853 (SuperPoster!)

435 hugs
given
Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imchet View Post
Got results from neuropsych eval. Evidently my attention is in the bottom five percent of the population. My intelligence is in the 91st percentile, so I've been smart enough to hide it, or laugh it off, but my utter lack if transitional and organizational skills keeps coming back to haunt me. So, I know this is very real for me. Not sure what to do, I've always picked up another distraction, a new hobby, a new carrer, a nrw degree but it somehow now feels do futile to throw myself in a new direction only to crash and burn in a year or two.
I was also diagnosed later in life. I didn't take the neuropsych test, only the paper test.

Not sure what you're asking here but am listening if you care to clarify. What do you mean be transitional skills?
octoberful is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-21-2018, 05:06 PM #5
mossanimal mossanimal is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: Northwoods
Posts: 405
mossanimal mossanimal is offline
Member
mossanimal has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: Northwoods
Posts: 405

2 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imchet View Post
Got results from neuropsych eval. Evidently my attention is in the bottom five percent of the population. My intelligence is in the 91st percentile, so I've been smart enough to hide it, or laugh it off, but my utter lack if transitional and organizational skills keeps coming back to haunt me. So, I know this is very real for me. Not sure what to do, I've always picked up another distraction, a new hobby, a new carrer, a nrw degree but it somehow now feels do futile to throw myself in a new direction only to crash and burn in a year or two.
Ughhh... this really makes me question my bipolar diagnosis. This is exactly me. I think my psych is starting to agree based on my lack of response to mood stabilizers. But youíve just described my life. AND the Wellbutrin which I was put on for depression has not helped that... but it sure has staved my typical forays into new hobbies and distractions and spontaneity (not to mention the creativity). Iíve had a shocking number of disparate jobs from molecular biologist to photographer to boat captain to Bladesmith and now Iím at an all time low working in a foundry.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
Bipolar I Meds: Lamictal 100 mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Latuda 40mg
mossanimal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 PM #6
SimplyComplicated SimplyComplicated is offline
New Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 4
SimplyComplicated SimplyComplicated is offline
New Member
SimplyComplicated has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 4

Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossanimal View Post
Ughhh... this really makes me question my bipolar diagnosis. This is exactly me. I think my psych is starting to agree based on my lack of response to mood stabilizers. But youíve just described my life. AND the Wellbutrin which I was put on for depression has not helped that... but it sure has staved my typical forays into new hobbies and distractions and spontaneity (not to mention the creativity). Iíve had a shocking number of disparate jobs from molecular biologist to photographer to boat captain to Bladesmith and now Iím at an all time low working in a foundry.
mossanimal, I have a cousin who was misdiagnosed for years as bipolar, and was eventually diagnosed as ADHD by her PCP, when she was 40 years of age. I know this probably is not a common experience, especially with a primary care physician, but as soon as her meds were switched to treat her ADHD (adderall), her life dramatically changed for the better! I am not a doctor, or counselor, but have heard of so many occasions were a person's struggle with ADHD was perceived or manifested itself as anxiety, depression, ocd, and even bipolar.

I thought I should share, since I witnessed it firsthand. I don't know your situation, but I do wish you the best.
SimplyComplicated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-22-2018, 07:20 PM #7
mossanimal mossanimal is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: Northwoods
Posts: 405
mossanimal mossanimal is offline
Member
mossanimal has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: Northwoods
Posts: 405

2 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplicated View Post
mossanimal, I have a cousin who was misdiagnosed for years as bipolar, and was eventually diagnosed as ADHD by her PCP, when she was 40 years of age. I know this probably is not a common experience, especially with a primary care physician, but as soon as her meds were switched to treat her ADHD (adderall), her life dramatically changed for the better! I am not a doctor, or counselor, but have heard of so many occasions were a person's struggle with ADHD was perceived or manifested itself as anxiety, depression, ocd, and even bipolar.

I thought I should share, since I witnessed it firsthand. I don't know your situation, but I do wish you the best.
Thanks for the note. The thing is is that I was originally diagnosed with ADHD and was put on Adderall by a primary care physician... but there was no real follow up or change... except that I lost some weight. But 8 years after I had a bad spell of depression that led to a brief hospitalization and care was transferred to psychiatrists who gave me the bipolar diagnosis. But it just doesnít sit right with me.. especially the mania. And then I come to a forum like this and see people with such similar life experiences. Anyway... I see my psych next week so hopefully we will explore this further. All I know is that Iíve had a crazy life with sooo many hobbies and professions all ending up with a crash and burn and moving onto something else. Iím disorganized and can only focus on things that are my current passion. Until now... the Wellbutrin has killed that aspect for sure.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
Bipolar I Meds: Lamictal 100 mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Latuda 40mg
mossanimal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM #8
imchet imchet is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31
imchet imchet is offline
Member
imchet has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31

Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guileless View Post
I was also diagnosed later in life. I didn't take the neuropsych test, only the paper test.

Not sure what you're asking here but am listening if you care to clarify. What do you mean be transitional skills?
Transition is the ability to shift attention from one activity to another and back and forth etc. For example a person who had difficulty with transitions would make a terrible secretary, because that job requires you to shift attention a lot. If I took a phone call, when I returned to my previous task it would be difficult to pick up where I left off. Also, if I were asked to do A, then half way through start and complete task B, then start task C, it would be very difficult for me to then go back and finish task A in an effective and efficient way.
imchet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:05 PM #9
imchet imchet is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31
imchet imchet is offline
Member
imchet has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31

Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

Thanks, adderall has been recommended for me, but I'm currently working on balancing four different antidepressants, and my Psychiatrist didn't recommend adding another. Guess I'll just have to keep drinking a liter or two of coffee per day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplicated View Post
mossanimal, I have a cousin who was misdiagnosed for years as bipolar, and was eventually diagnosed as ADHD by her PCP, when she was 40 years of age. I know this probably is not a common experience, especially with a primary care physician, but as soon as her meds were switched to treat her ADHD (adderall), her life dramatically changed for the better! I am not a doctor, or counselor, but have heard of so many occasions were a person's struggle with ADHD was perceived or manifested itself as anxiety, depression, ocd, and even bipolar.

I thought I should share, since I witnessed it firsthand. I don't know your situation, but I do wish you the best.
imchet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:17 PM #10
imchet imchet is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31
imchet imchet is offline
Member
imchet has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 31

Default Re: 45 y/o only now got diagnosed... Alas.

That's funny, I've been a ski instructor, worked in fine arts (assistant, printmaker, and gallery, all in NY and with top people,) a bike mechanic, an executive assistant, been the owner of a small manufacturing company, inside sales, welder/fabricator, and most recently an Occupational Therapy practitioner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossanimal View Post
Ughhh... this really makes me question my bipolar diagnosis. This is exactly me. I think my psych is starting to agree based on my lack of response to mood stabilizers. But youíve just described my life. AND the Wellbutrin which I was put on for depression has not helped that... but it sure has staved my typical forays into new hobbies and distractions and spontaneity (not to mention the creativity). Iíve had a shocking number of disparate jobs from molecular biologist to photographer to boat captain to Bladesmith and now Iím at an all time low working in a foundry.
imchet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.