Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Junior Member
moninja7's Avatar
moninja7 Confused
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: In my head
Posts: 11
5 yr Member
1 hugs
Question Could I possibly have Adult ADHD?

For the last 6 years I've been dealing with the thought of possibly having Adult ADHD. I'm 42 and I've had a lot of symptoms for many years which I think have been confused with symptoms of Bipolar disorder (which I was diagnosed with 7 years ago) I was diagnosed once years ago with ADD and given Ritalin which was horrible for me.
Since my childhood I've been very disorganized and have had little patience for things. I still am and it's only gotten worse thought out the years. I've taken quizzes on here and other sites and they're still showing high scores stating moderate to severe ADHD. How do I talk to my doctor about this?
I know now that we never get over great losses; we absorb them, and they carve us into different, often kinder, creatures. ~ Gail Caldwell
moninja7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

Old 06-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Skeezyks's Avatar
Skeezyks has no updates.
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 18,560 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
13.4k hugs
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Could I possibly have Adult ADHD?

I don't know as there is anything I can offer with regard to this. But I noticed your post had yet to receive a reply. So I thought I would. I'm not sure what to suggest as far as talking to your doctor about your ADHD concern. I guess you just tell her / him & perhaps ask about arranging for some testing?

I recall, several years ago now, mentioning my own concerns regarding my declining mental capabilities to the pdoc I was seeing at the time. He simply wrote, on a piece of paper, the name & phone number for a person he knew of who did psychological testing & handed it to me. That was it. (I never followed up on it.) About all the pdoc I was seeing did was to prescribe & monitor psych med's. So anything beyond that was something I had to make arrangements for myself.

Depending on what type of doctor it is you're seeing, & how that doctor conducts her / his practice, you may have a similar experience I suppose. Or perhaps you'll find your doctor takes a more proactive approach. That would certainly be nice. Here are links to 3 articles, from PC's archives, on the subject of ADHD in adults:

ADHD: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Guide | Psych Central

Bipolar Disorder and ADHD: Hyperfocus | Bipolar Laid Bare

The Biggest Lesson I've Learned in Managing My ADHD
Speak only if you can improve upon the silence.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
Threadtastic Postaholic
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets has no updates.
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,653 (SuperPoster!)
126 hugs
Default Re: Could I possibly have Adult ADHD?

I have adhd. I have had it my whole life. I am 44 and when I was younger no one really knew about adhd and especially in girls. My belief is once you have it, you have it even if it changes in severity. Mine has gotten worse as I have gotten older and I have physical hyperactivity in addition to all the other symptoms. I take adderall and have for 14 years and it has been a godsend for me.
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.


Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.