advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2020, 04:50 AM   #1
pandabear0927
Member
 
pandabear0927's Avatar
pandabear0927 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: N/a
Posts: 94
1 yr Member
Default Adult evaluation???

Has anyone been diagnosed with Autism or perhaps Aspergers in their adult life? I have more recently been interested in getting an evaluation done but I’m not sure what to look for psychiatric wise, what are the steps, what i should know etc. i never noticed how “different “ i felt until maybe junior high? And every yr it just got more and more apparent that I function and think differently than people my own age... i am now im my 20’s and finding that while things i do work for me, I know it may not be normal so I essentially hide my “quirks” if that makes sense... but it’s just harder and harder , so I find myself becoming upset.. agitated, anxious... etc... i just want to find answers, and maybe the appropriate support or solutions ya know?
? I have a counselor but she can not evaluate/diagnose etc. and when i ask her opinion she just dances around it....i guess I just want to know what your experience has been like? Advice, etc.? Thank you!
pandabear0927 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 07-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
2daffodils
Magnate
 
2daffodils's Avatar
2daffodils has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,947
5 yr Member
2,714 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

I don't have experience really, but my younger son was suspected to have aspergers one time, which is on the autistic spectrum. The only way I know of is to have a psychological test, and where I live it is usually paid out of pocket at 1000 dollars. I had pushed for another psychological test for him but they wouldn't do it in high school. May I ask what symptoms you experience that make you think you might have this? You can ignore the question. I wish I could be more helpful, but depending on what access you have to healthcare it might be a possibility to have a test done, if not start with your gp and let them know your symptoms and go from there? Hope someone else finds this post and has experienced this themselves, so they are better able to help
2daffodils is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
pandabear0927
Member
 
pandabear0927's Avatar
pandabear0927 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: N/a
Posts: 94
1 yr Member
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daffodils View Post
I don't have experience really, but my younger son was suspected to have aspergers one time, which is on the autistic spectrum. The only way I know of is to have a psychological test, and where I live it is usually paid out of pocket at 1000 dollars. I had pushed for another psychological test for him but they wouldn't do it in high school. May I ask what symptoms you experience that make you think you might have this? You can ignore the question. I wish I could be more helpful, but depending on what access you have to healthcare it might be a possibility to have a test done, if not start with your gp and let them know your symptoms and go from there? Hope someone else finds this post and has experienced this themselves, so they are better able to help

I know it can be really difficult to getting a diagnosis that’s what makes me upset. I feel like , looking back I had some typical signs of it as a child but my parents basically just assumed i was a difficult kid.. being “disruptive “, or messy, lazy, tantrums or not really communicating certain feelings or wants but rather just make noises even up until i was about 12 or so, I had issues with bed wetting till i was about 13 or 14:/....my grandparents would always be amazed at how I could find details in their house even if i wasnt there for months, i could tell when a glass dish was moved or if they had repainted a similar color. Theyd sometimes turn it into a game and ask if i notice anything when i came over, but its like... stuff i dont think many people would normally notice or care about....I hated being in big crowds or gatherings , I still do. I have bad social anxiety. I remember freaking out at a church service once because of the people there and once at my cousins wedding. When my parents asked why i was crying i lied and said i missed my pets:/...my father always told me I had “selective hearing” when he told me to do things even if I genuinely didn’t understand what he meant or said or maybe didnt notice at allAdult evaluation??? it made it difficult for me to even be around some older family members because theyd joke with me and id just straight up get upset..because I couldn’t understand when someone was being serious with me.. same thing in school. even now i still catch myself being this way but i guess ive learned to “hide” it. As an adult i still have these issues , with the exception of bedwetting, but more so routine wise. Like with work, feeling “spacey” or ... idk how to explain it. Not like dissociation per say but like seeing things around me from a distance or.. as if you were running on a couple hrs of sleep? Thats probably a bad example.. mostly that and the feeling of things? Like I don’t like being touched... and i dont like touching certain things or ill straight up cry... it’s just stuff that’s super embarrassing that no “normal” adult deals with and if it isn’t ASD related, I’d just like to figure out SOMETHING. But unfortunately every counselor ive spoken to just says it’s general anxiety , which i have but i feel like it’s deeper than that., idk
pandabear0927 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
pandabear0927
Member
 
pandabear0927's Avatar
pandabear0927 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: N/a
Posts: 94
1 yr Member
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daffodils View Post
I don't have experience really, but my younger son was suspected to have aspergers one time, which is on the autistic spectrum. The only way I know of is to have a psychological test, and where I live it is usually paid out of pocket at 1000 dollars. I had pushed for another psychological test for him but they wouldn't do it in high school. May I ask what symptoms you experience that make you think you might have this? You can ignore the question. I wish I could be more helpful, but depending on what access you have to healthcare it might be a possibility to have a test done, if not start with your gp and let them know your symptoms and go from there? Hope someone else finds this post and has experienced this themselves, so they are better able to help

I feel like I’m at the point where I just want specialized support. Because although everyone experiences anxiety differently, i feel like i reaaallyyy experience things differently... it’s like i already feel ashamed and embarrassed that i dont fit in with people and now I don’t even feel like i fit in with other people with anxiety either it’s a scary lonely feeling<\3
pandabear0927 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
2daffodils
Magnate
 
2daffodils's Avatar
2daffodils has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,947
5 yr Member
2,714 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

I'm so sorry you are struggling like this. It really does sound like you aren't getting the help you need, I couldn't find the right help for my son either...
I'm not any kind of person to say what I think because I'm not really experienced with autism and aspergers, but I have read lots of articles, and I think you are correct with your self diagnosis.
Not wanting to be touched is one example. Hard time being around other adults etc. like you've said. You know yourself well and that's a good start. I sure hope someone who has this will respond to you. @jimi are you around to help out please?

I'm sorry your parents called you messy, lazy, disruptive, tantrums.... it really sounds like they ignored you and neglected to get you the right help.

I'm very tired, I don't want to give you unsolicited advice, I just want you to know you have been heard. I wish there was a way that mental health care would provide you with further testing instead of just labeling it as anxiety. The mental health care is failing so many people. I'm sorry. Try to know you are not alone as long as someone is listening to you and hearing you.
2daffodils is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #6
2daffodils
Magnate
 
2daffodils's Avatar
2daffodils has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,947
5 yr Member
2,714 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

@-jimi-
If i remember correctly you might be able to help, thanks
2daffodils is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
pandabear0927
Member
 
pandabear0927's Avatar
pandabear0927 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: N/a
Posts: 94
1 yr Member
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daffodils View Post
I'm so sorry you are struggling like this. It really does sound like you aren't getting the help you need, I couldn't find the right help for my son either...
I'm not any kind of person to say what I think because I'm not really experienced with autism and aspergers, but I have read lots of articles, and I think you are correct with your self diagnosis.
Not wanting to be touched is one example. Hard time being around other adults etc. like you've said. You know yourself well and that's a good start. I sure hope someone who has this will respond to you. @jimi are you around to help out please?

I'm sorry your parents called you messy, lazy, disruptive, tantrums.... it really sounds like they ignored you and neglected to get you the right help.

I'm very tired, I don't want to give you unsolicited advice, I just want you to know you have been heard. I wish there was a way that mental health care would provide you with further testing instead of just labeling it as anxiety. The mental health care is failing so many people. I'm sorry. Try to know you are not alone as long as someone is listening to you and hearing you.

Thank you so much, i really appreciate it<3 it’s hard to get out exactly what i think/feel so it’s nice to have someone understand a bit whats going on in my head. I worry about it a lot because i feel like I’m just wasting time that i could be getting specialized guidance. I have a counselor who kind of dances around the idea because she technically cant diagnose me, but she referred me to a psych that can and ive reached out to 2 individuals from there as well as several others within an hr from me and none of them responded saying they’d evaluate me :’( all
My emails get ignored or no calls...it’s so frustrating because my reg dr would rather push medication right away, and that was before i even seen a counselor. I just feel like many individuals in the medical field don’t actually want to help. They dont want to face a challenge, and it’s upsetting because so many wake up everyday and feel lost or suffer because we cant get answers or they charge an absurd amount. The few psychiatrists that responded said they charge 150-300 per session:/... most i found dont take my or any insurance:’(
pandabear0927 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 07-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #8
Travelinglady
Legendary Wise Elder
 
Travelinglady's Avatar
Travelinglady and her stuff are okay after the hurricane.
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 37,101 (SuperPoster!)
8 yr Member
19.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

Could you just go to a therapist without saying you want a diagnosis and see what they say? Is there some group available who might help--maybe at a mental health center?
__________________
Travelinglady is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #9
pandabear0927
Member
 
pandabear0927's Avatar
pandabear0927 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: N/a
Posts: 94
1 yr Member
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelinglady View Post
Could you just go to a therapist without saying you want a diagnosis and see what they say? Is there some group available who might help--maybe at a mental health center?

I see one already:/... she wont entertain the idea because she “ doesnt believe in labels” and it “doesnt really matter”.... and idk what groups to join .
pandabear0927 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #10
JustMeABC
Junior Member
JustMeABC has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2020
Location: Waldrof, MD
Posts: 19
Default Re: Adult evaluation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear0927 View Post
Has anyone been diagnosed with Autism or perhaps Aspergers in their adult life? I have more recently been interested in getting an evaluation done but I’m not sure what to look for psychiatric wise, what are the steps, what i should know etc. i never noticed how “different “ i felt until maybe junior high? And every yr it just got more and more apparent that I function and think differently than people my own age... i am now im my 20’s and finding that while things i do work for me, I know it may not be normal so I essentially hide my “quirks” if that makes sense... but it’s just harder and harder , so I find myself becoming upset.. agitated, anxious... etc... i just want to find answers, and maybe the appropriate support or solutions ya know?
? I have a counselor but she can not evaluate/diagnose etc. and when i ask her opinion she just dances around it....i guess I just want to know what your experience has been like? Advice, etc.? Thank you!
My 30 year old son was just diagnosed in the Autism Spectrum Disorder. His neuropsychologist said that the term "Asperger's Syndrome" is no longer used. It is just within the spectrum. In his case, the evaluation was over 2 days, and cost $4650. The spectrum is so wide, that some on the borders just don't get identified until later years. But the evaluation is necessary to get life pointed in the right direction.
JustMeABC is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.