Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Newly Joined
JellyBeans00 has no updates.
Member Since: Jul 2019
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1
Confused I need advice.

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this. I know this forum is more for emotional support, but I'm not sure where else to post it.
I've been homeschooled my entire life by an overprotective mom (I'm currently 17) and I feel like it's ruined my life. She never put much effort into teaching me, so my "schooling" involved just sitting around in the house and doing nothing at least half of the time. Because of this my education is... not good, to say the least. I also have exactly 0 friends and no idea how to react in social situations.

So I want to move out when I turn 18 next year (preferrably to another state but that part can wait), but... how? I have no education, no one to go live with and no money. Trying to get a GED sounds terrifying to me. Can anyone give me advice on how to get through this situation? It's like I'm just stuck here.
JellyBeans00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Grand Member
luvyrself has no updates.
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 841
3 yr Member
81 hugs
Default Re: I need advice.

Order a GED study manual (Amazon?) and start studying. Use a highlighter.
Bipolar 2
with mixed states & rapid cycling and under stress
Also anxiety, varying amts agitation under stress
tegretol 400 mg
wellbutrin 75 mg
Xanax as needed
luvyrself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
Elder Harridan x-hankster
unaluna's Avatar
unaluna - Hail, Max's Melania.
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Milan/Michigan
Posts: 31,327 (SuperPoster!)
8 yr Member
43.5k hugs
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I need advice.

Apply to college. Tell them what you said here. Ask for help.
unaluna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Legendary Wise Elder
eskielover's Avatar
eskielover has no updates.
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 21,663 (SuperPoster!)
10 yr Member
11.5k hugs
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I need advice.

Without a GED no college will even look at a person....not even a junior college.

Getting a study guide for your GED is probably the best place to start. Moving out without a way to support yourself is impossible. Better to have your own internal drive to become independent than trying to find someone else & depend on them for your escape. People who are abusive tend to prey on people like that.

I don't know if your mental health status or if you have a therapist or psychiatrist but you might turn to them with this problem if you do & ask them what your best solution would be.

You need your GED before you can ever become healthily independent these days & not end up in a worse situation than you already are in.

Some junior colleges or even high schools have classed you can attend with others trying to get their GED. That would be a good possibility too. Can you get a drivers license & use the family car or use a bus to get yourself to the classes?

It is going to take your own internal drive to succeed at this point & just moving to another town or state won't solve your real will just create more problems at this point in time. Probably a good idea when you finally are able to become independent. So I would start focusing on the best way possible to get your GED. That is what will start opening doors for you.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.


Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.