Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD? - Page 5 - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 10:31 AM #41
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439 (SuperPoster!)

8 yr Member
15.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

Sigh....you know TheUrOther, with what I have been and am going through right now, even what I experienced just yesterday, it would be so easy for me to embrace your anger and desire to punish and MAKE someone see their wrongs that are hurting me so much.

Honestly, I sat here after hearing what my husband experienced when he tried to arrange with my older sister for me to have "private" time with my dying mother. Her response was "absolutely NOT" and then she proceeded to tell him lies about me, she accused me of doing things I never did. My sister is abusing the power she was given, what she has been doing is NOT anything either one of my parents wanted. She wants to hurt me to satisfy her own unmet needs that have NOTHING to do with me. I don't know HOW she can sit with my mother and hold my mother's hand while she is dying and deny my mother to experience me, because my mother did/does love me. This is not ANYTHING I could EVER do.

My sister is practicing the same thing you keep touting you want to do. She has created resentments in her mind and has embraced hate so much that she literally doesn't see how WRONG her behavior is. I am very hurt and very disappointed and very angry, it's definitely triggering the ptsd in me. Yet, I am NOT going to embrace some desire to hurt her back. That is not who I am as a person. The thing about bullies and abusers is they WANT you to engage because it keeps giving them a chance to hurt you even more, those are NOT the kind of people I want to connect with and befriend. Truth is, I have no respect for those kind of people either, I don't want them in my life either.

I believe that at one point you were a nice person, that these individuals who bullied you and even physically hurt you were "bad" people, and every time you tried to be friendly they only hurt you even more. Yes, there are people that are like that too, I have experienced them during my life and each time I am left with "how can someone be like that". YET, when this kind of person really WINS, is when they get YOU to be like that too. When they get that from you it empowers them with "see I was right that person is a bad person and not worthy".

What I have been learning is that when it comes to a toxic person or what is labelled "narcissists", is that these individuals do not want to KNOW what they are doing that is detrimental and toxic. No matter how much someone is nice to them or TRIES to help them see their dysfunctional behaviors, they simply don't GET IT and can only do things THEIR way and it's mostly about their need to have all the power and control.

My mother said to me at one point, "Your sister is jealous of you OE". I was in my 50's when she said that to me and I honestly did not see it so I was taken back by her saying that to me so matter of fact. I responded to her with, "how can you say that, what on earth does she have to be jealous about?". My mother's answer was, "OE, because you were always not only cute, but you were very social and friendly and talkative and your sister could not do that". I began to feel upset about this, I had loved my older sister and had been friendly and socible to her and I was always nice to her. I never tried to control her either and I really never was a 'counter" where she was always "keeping score". Looking back from where I am now and with what I have been learning, I can see the red flags that I missed. My sister never wanted to share my parents with two younger siblings. She really NEVER got over that and I can see it in a HUGE way now with what she has been choosing to do.

There is a part of me that is angry at my mother because if she did see this, she should have done something about it. What my older sister is doing right now as I am sitting here writing this is she is taking JOY in denying me alone time with my mother so SHE can have it all to herself. She has such a STRONG need to feel that SHE is the better child and most deserving. It's so sad to me that my mother is dying and my sister is sitting there completely controlling her need to HAVE my mother all to herself right up to my mother's very LAST BREATH. That my sister NEEDS everyone to believe that she is the GOOD CHILD and I am the threat and bad. HOW sad it that??????

Actually, reading all your input and desire to punish and withhold and this whole concept of carrots and stick treatement, your resentments and your idea of justice is educating me, BUT, not in the way you think or desire. My older sister is ANGRY and RESENTFUL , and she is choosing to take this out on me.

Truth is, just about every flashback I experience is about that too. It's always about someone taking THEIR ANGER out on me. I am interacting with you here in your thread and everything I say is met with YOU DON'T GET IT and YOU ARE STUPID IF YOU DON'T GET IT, you make it a point to pick out every thing I say and react with YOUR ANGER and need for JUSTICE and PUNISHMENT. I gotta be honest with you, this is something I have experienced many times over in my life and I have so many times where I was raged at too.

Well, no matter how many times you try to convince me, you are NOT going to get me to turn into a BULLY. You have asked about abuse by parents with PTSD, and what I can say is that if a parent is struggling with ptsd and struggles where they blow up in rages at their own child, when they show resentments and they can't really love that child because of their own damage, the product can become a child that carries deep resentments and an obsessive need for control. And people can get hurt by that, innocent people.

Everytime I am exposed to my sister, be it on the phone or in person, it makes me ill. Her presence is SO NEGATIVE to me that I can't stand being around it. She sits there alone, she is looking for sympathy and the reason she IS alone is because of her insistence on punishing and controlling and she blows up if she doesn't get it and she invades people's space to the point where people are repelled by her.

I have shared how I witnessed my older brother constantly being abused and bullied. He had/has ADHD and Dyslexia and he was punished for it, when it was not his fault, just how his brain was wired. He could have turned out to be a bad and mean bully and punish others. But he ended up stepping away from the toxic in his own family and wanted to be different. I was not sure how he would be after my not seeing him for about 20 years. He moved away and got busy in his life with his own family and making his way. We began to interact again because of my parents decline. And one day my brother walked up to me with a deep desire to sit with me to appologize for how he was with me in our childhood. He has been the only one WILLING to express a desire to let me know he regretted and wanted to care enough to talk about it with me. He has made it a point many times to let me know he knew I was and am a nice person too. I also want to add that my parents took my brother to see a psychiatrist because he struggled to sit and pay attention in school. This psychiatrist told my parents "NO coddling for him at all, you much instead constantly dicipline him". This is the WRONG advice and this is what started my father taking him out to a shed and hitting him on his backside with a belt. I was so little and watching that terrified and confused me.

Yesterday I was so hurt and angry about how my sister responded to my husband who wanted to help me get to experience private time alone with my mother. My husband said it was very hard for him to remain calm because of how MEAN AND EVIL my sister was, and what she spewed out. He knows I never did anything she insists on accusing me of doing too. He has witnessed her rage at me and be mean to me too. He hates what he is witnessing. He is disgusted by it. The answer is not to react and turn into a bully.

I am so sorry you have been abused, but to embrace hate and anger is not the answer. All it really does is give bullies and toxic people what they want so they can say you are the bad one in the picture.

Last edited by Open Eyes; 03-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 AM #42
pachyderm's Avatar
pachyderm pachyderm is offline
Legendary
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Washington DC metro area
Posts: 14,286
pachyderm pachyderm is offline
Legendary
pachyderm's Avatar
pachyderm without status for sure.
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Washington DC metro area
Posts: 14,286 (SuperPoster!)

10 yr Member
2,614 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I don't understand why you are so interested in punishment.
I think it is just a measure of how great the anger is...
__________________
Now if thou would'st
When all have given him o'er
From death to life
Thou might'st him yet recover
-- Michael Drayton 1562 - 1631
pachyderm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM #43
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439 (SuperPoster!)

8 yr Member
15.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

YES! pachyderm, that is exactly what it means.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:10 PM #44
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
TheUrOther has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122

1 yr Member
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

@Open Eyes:



I am not "embracing hate".

I am neither a narcissist or a bully.

I am "so interested in punishment" because all I have experienced from humanity is punishment - every action I perform is punished, no matter how good it is. It's never good enough for you people, so you punish everything I do. It's never a case where I can do something "right" so I do not get punished; it's always the case of minimizing but never fully avoiding punishment. That's why I'm dying; the constant punishment has destroyed my body.

You all punish me constantly, but you all never get punished. What is so horrible about me that I have to be punished all the time? Why do you get to screw up infinitely to the point where you're destroying the planet but you never get punished? Why the double standard?
TheUrOther is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:36 PM #45
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
TheUrOther has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122

1 yr Member
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
It seems you always feel persecuted and like it that way.
I do feel persecuted because I am persecuted! That is exactly what's happening! And you have to be truly demented and a sadist to think that I like dying from everyone's beatings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I don't understand why you are so interested in punishment. Is it anybody's job to really punish anyone for anything?
Punishment is how people learn right from wrong; it is the foundation of civilization - and YES it is every person's duty to punish bad behavior! Jesus wept, how can you get something so fundamental so wrong? Every unpunished person goes on to do bad things because they've never learned what they're doing is wrong. Learning right from wrong doesn't stop at 18 either - everyone must be punished fairly and accurately in order to know what is right and what is wrong.

Let me be clear - I'm not talking random, arbitrary punishment; that's abuse. I'm talking the proper punishment for what ever wrongdoing occurs. One can be wrongfully over-punished as they can be wrongfully under-punished. Both are incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
It seems like all you would like to do is argue with the people who are trying to support you.
First, do you really expect me to take on faith that you're supporting me? Do you really think I'm that stupid? There is no outward difference between those who are supporting and those who pretend to support in order to ambush. The only real difference is that the true supporters are too rare for them to be a benefit - the cost of accepting their support is greater than the support they give; I literally running a loss every time I accept help.

Furthermore, I challenge everything you say even when it is genuine because the circumstances I live under is so extreme. Your help unchallenged won't survive exposure to the enemy. It has to be near-perfect in order to actually work in that environment. You don't understand that because whatever you've gone through, it's not as constant and omnipresent as my hostile conditions. Your suffered abuse comes from one or a few people; my abuse comes from everyone, at all times. If I don't challenge your suggestions, they will fly apart in the face of battle, and can injure me in the process. They must be human-proofed before I can use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do not understand that mentality and I do not understand your anger.
People decided to ostracize me to the point of murdering me as a purely arbitrary decision. I did nothing to these people - I was constantly trying to be nice to these people - and they tortured me and murdered me. If you can't understand why that would make someone angry, I can't understand you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What I can tell you is fact: your anger is not healthy and it never will be. It will never change what you want it to change. You are invalidating everyone here who has taken the time to respond to you.
I'm dying. "Health" is no longer an option. I've proven that nothing will change what I want changed, because human beings are willing to die and kill to keep things the way they are. The whole reason I had my massive personality change was because I knew it was pointless to try any more. The time to negotiate with the terrorists is over.
TheUrOther is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:50 PM #46
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439 (SuperPoster!)

8 yr Member
15.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUrOther View Post
@Open Eyes:



I am not "embracing hate".

I am neither a narcissist or a bully.

I am "so interested in punishment" because all I have experienced from humanity is punishment - every action I perform is punished, no matter how good it is. It's never good enough for YOU people, so YOU punish everything I do. It's never a case where I can do something "right" so I do not get punished; it's always the case of minimizing but never fully avoiding punishment. That's why I'm dying; the constant punishment has destroyed my body.

YOUall punish me constantly, but YOU all never get punished. What is so horrible about me that I have to be punished all the time? Why do YOU get to screw up infinitely to the point where YOU'REdestroying the planet but YOUnever get punished? Why the double standard?

I put in all the times you answered me including me as if I personally abused and hurt you by using YOU, I did no such thing to you. When you respond to people who are trying to be supportive and talk to you, you can trigger them because of how you answer like each person personally did something to you, try to use people have done this or that to me. I do not know you, you don't even know me so please dont blame me for something I simply did not do to you. Something that can work better in interacting OK? (I can get triggered because of what I am experiencing right now in being blamed for things I never did. That's me personally, but I bet other PTSD/complex PTSD members posting here can relate especially if they have been emotionally abused, even physically for that matter.)

Last edited by Open Eyes; 03-16-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 PM #47
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
TheUrOther has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122

1 yr Member
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
I put in all the times you answered me including me as if I personally abused and hurt you by using YOU, I did no such thing to you. When you respond to people who are trying to be supportive and talk to you, you can trigger them because of how you answer like each person personally did something to you, try to use people have done this or that to me. I do not know you, you don't even know me so please dont blame me for something I simply did not do to you. Something that can work better in interacting OK? (I can get triggered because of what I am experiencing right now in being blamed for things I never did. That's me personally, but I bet other PTSD/complex PTSD members posting here can relate especially if they have been emotionally abused, even physically for that matter.)
As long as you are part of the human species, you are partially responsible for their actions - you all hold me responsible for everyone's actions AND DON'T GIVE ME ANY NONSENSE ABOUT HOW YOU THE INDIVIDUAL DON'T HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S ACTIONS!!! YES YOU DO! You would not be arguing with me if you actually thought other people's actions are the responsibility of those people; this argument is all about me bearing the cost of the actions of other people. If you want exoneration for yourself, you need to find the people who did this to me and punish them yourself. I can't do it; the only way I can free from their tyranny is to make you do it. No, that's not fair - but if you all had nipped this in the bud in the first place, you would not be in a position where you have to do this now. I will hold you responsible for other people's actions, just as you have held me responsible for other people's actions. That is the only support you can give me. That is the only support that will be effective; everything else is a waste of time.
TheUrOther is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:07 PM #48
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439 (SuperPoster!)

8 yr Member
15.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

I am not holding you responsible for the abuse and neglect you experienced from other people. I believe you needed help and were failed and no teacher or Adult or even pier reached out and helped you. It's understandable that you would feel so much anger like you do because of that too. It is awful to experience abuse and suffer and no one steps up to help you. Other members here can relate to what that feels like. Yes, that can lead to the kind of anger you are venting here.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:29 PM #49
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122
TheUrOther TheUrOther is offline
Member
TheUrOther has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: California, USA
Posts: 122

1 yr Member
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
I am not holding you responsible for the abuse and neglect you experienced from other people. I believe you needed help and were failed and no teacher or Adult or even pier reached out and helped you. It's understandable that you would feel so much anger like you do because of that too. It is awful to experience abuse and suffer and no one steps up to help you. Other members here can relate to what that feels like. Yes, that can lead to the kind of anger you are venting here.
Everyone not on this board does - most importantly, everyone who can give me a job does. They all think either my abuse is my fault - or that I was not abused at all - and they expect me to do better than them without any of the resources they have and are keeping away from me.
TheUrOther is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:11 PM #50
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439
Open Eyes Open Eyes is online now
Legendary
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 18,439 (SuperPoster!)

8 yr Member
15.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Any information about abuse by parents with PTSD?

I believe you as unfortunately, there are a lot of people that blame the victims. That is something many members can relate to as well here. A lot of the time abusers have power and influence that can make it even harder for a victim to get the right help and be believed.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.