advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #101
SmileHere
Member
 
SmileHere's Avatar
SmileHere has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 214
5 yr Member
61 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetime sadness View Post
I really thought oxcarbazepine was working.... but I guess it takes time... I just want to keep crying... why men love to break our hearts? why aren't they straight forward and say "I'm sorry I'm not interested in you in that way" but instead they shun away and hide and say nothing.
Some may be too shy to say something directly, or might be afraid to hurt your feelings or something?
I know I've done it to men online, just didn't write back if I wasn't interested, cause sometimes some got a bit aggressive if I wrote I wasn't interested, they kept writing 'why not?' and such?
Or maybe there could be mixed emotions and indecision, or other factors?

It would be better if people could be straight up honest and still gentle with each other.
If you wish for someone who is more direct and open about feelings, such a person who just stays away is not for you anyway!! Wishing you someone better, who recognizes how awesome you are!
((Hugz))
SmileHere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #102
vital
Grand Poohbah
 
vital's Avatar
vital has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,589
5 yr Member
1,799 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileHere View Post
Also, started taking Calcium&D3 and B vitamins - brewer's yeast and some Magnesium (small amount, too much has side effects ) and I feel much better!

Haven't done much snapping, kinda forgot about it inbetween, this thread reminds me how fun it's been! (I don't snap in public, just when I'm alone, or in my sleeve so it's not seen)
snap - raise my arm - exercise!
snap - again! haha

I have done DIY CBT journalling and EFT, and some TAT in the past too... These are all techniques that can help... Snapping is one of the techniques that is free and easy to do, so why not try it?
I'm so happy for you SmileHere! It's so great that the vitamins are working.

Those snaps you are doing and that feeling of joy and power and fun are very precious. If you keep doing them and feeling them deeply, I think that they will help you so much. In a way, it is your own true self being and acting in the present moment. It probably won't happen right away, but if you keep doing it, you'll discover that you can decide to change what you think about and what feelings you have, just by snapping. Wait until you have some bad feelings and realize that, instead of suffering endlessly, you can stop them just like that "SNAP!!". It is the most incredible relief!

- vital

SNAP CLUB
vital is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #103
vital
Grand Poohbah
 
vital's Avatar
vital has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,589
5 yr Member
1,799 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

MY INVOLUNTARY DIVE BACK INTO DEPRESSION FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS

- DEPRESSION SNEAKS UP ON YOU WHEN YOU’RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION -

A couple of weeks ago my depression snuck up on me again and I was partially in it again for a couple of days. As unpleasant as it was, it might be interesting to record how it happens and how I got back. Also, I want to be honest about my experiences as I think that’s the best way to be helpful to others.

In the period preceding the relapse,

• I was getting very busy with my work, multi-tasking too much and starting to feel like I didn’t have time to concentrate on anything for long. Things that I wanted to do at home and at work seemed like they were piling up rapidly.

• Without noticing it, I had reduced my snapping and when I was doing and I wasn’t feeling it or enjoying it as much as usual.

• Being winter, I had stopped going on my usual daily long walks (which also provides thinking time).

All this was happening without me really noticing it. Any changes were gradual. Then, on one day, I got some minor but unexpected bad news at the dentist. This news precipitated a sharp decline in my mood and I was back in my previous depressed mode of existence. I observed the following.

• I had a strong urge to think negative thoughts and other negative things that happened in my life came back into my mind continuously.

• I had a strong urge to escape in some way by finding some distraction.

• My brain felt foggy and slow. My confidence nearly disappeared.

• SNAPPING did something still, but now only partly helped and no longer brought me entirely out of it. It now brought me partly out of it and only for a short time.

• I had a fear that SNAPPING was going to not work for me anymore and I would be trapped in depression forever.

• My usual feeling of good will towards humanity in general disappeared. Strangers were irritating and obstacles in my way if anything.

• I didn’t realize it at the time, but my posture had changed. I no longer had my usual hero pose and was slumped.

• I actually got into a mini-conflict in the PC chatrooms. I had the impression that people were being bullied and this caused me to be upset. I say this many times in the forum, but when it happened to me, it didn’t occur to me. Even though my perceptions were correct, my reaction was, nevertheless, just a symptom of my depression.

• In Yoga class, I was frustrated and upset if I couldn’t do a posture. I was agitated and it was hard to concentrate. I felt an urge to escape.

When the weekend hit, I slept much longer than my usual 8 hours. After sleeping about 12 hours, I woke up feeling a bit better. I resumed snapping boldly and consciously and enjoying the snaps and, quite quickly, I re-entered my healthy happy mode of existence. Snapping, actively deciding, being in the moment, hero posture, joy at being alive and having good will towards everyone and feeling like my brain is working again.

The whole thing was unpleasant, but I do feel that I have learned from my brief excursion back into it. Depression sneaks up on you when you’re not paying attention. The more I think about it and experience it, the more I think I’m really right in what I’m saying at the top of the thread.
vital is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #104
ajohnson45
Member
ajohnson45 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 113
5 yr Member
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital View Post
MY INVOLUNTARY DIVE BACK INTO DEPRESSION FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS

- DEPRESSION SNEAKS UP ON YOU WHEN YOU’RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION -

A couple of weeks ago my depression snuck up on me again and I was partially in it again for a couple of days. As unpleasant as it was, it might be interesting to record how it happens and how I got back. Also, I want to be honest about my experiences as I think that’s the best way to be helpful to others.

In the period preceding the relapse,

•I was getting very busy with my work, multi-tasking too much and starting to feel like I didn’t have time to concentrate on anything for long. Things that I wanted to do at home and at work seemed like they were piling up rapidly.

•Without noticing it, I had reduced my snapping and when I was doing and I wasn’t feeling it or enjoying it as much as usual.

•Being winter, I had stopped going on my usual daily long walks (which also provides thinking time).

All this was happening without me really noticing it. Any changes were gradual. Then, on one day, I got some minor but unexpected bad news at the dentist. This news precipitated a sharp decline in my mood and I was back in my previous depressed mode of existence. I observed the following.

•I had a strong urge to think negative thoughts and other negative things that happened in my life came back into my mind continuously.

•I had a strong urge to escape in some way by finding some distraction.

•My brain felt foggy and slow. My confidence nearly disappeared.

•SNAPPING did something still, but now only partly helped and no longer brought me entirely out of it. It now brought me partly out of it and only for a short time.

•I had a fear that SNAPPING was going to not work for me anymore and I would be trapped in depression forever.

•My usual feeling of good will towards humanity in general disappeared. Strangers were irritating and obstacles in my way if anything.

•I didn’t realize it at the time, but my posture had changed. I no longer had my usual hero pose and was slumped.

•I actually got into a mini-conflict in the PC chatrooms. I had the impression that people were being bullied and this caused me to be upset. I say this many times in the forum, but when it happened to me, it didn’t occur to me. Even though my perceptions were correct, my reaction was, nevertheless, just a symptom of my depression.

•In Yoga class, I was frustrated and upset if I couldn’t do a posture. I was agitated and it was hard to concentrate. I felt an urge to escape.

When the weekend hit, I slept much longer than my usual 8 hours. After sleeping about 12 hours, I woke up feeling a bit better. I resumed snapping boldly and consciously and enjoying the snaps and, quite quickly, I re-entered my healthy happy mode of existence. Snapping, actively deciding, being in the moment, hero posture, joy at being alive and having good will towards everyone and feeling like my brain is working again.

The whole thing was unpleasant, but I do feel that I have learned from my brief excursion back into it. Depression sneaks up on you when you’re not paying attention. The more I think about it and experience it, the more I think I’m really right in what I’m saying at the top of the thread.
So then your snapping thing doesn't work. It is only a temporary solution.
ajohnson45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #105
vital
Grand Poohbah
 
vital's Avatar
vital has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,589
5 yr Member
1,799 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Just to keep track of it, here is an update of what I personally think is the best plan if you are depressed. I'm not a medical professional, I'm only writing this up because this makes so much more sense to me than what usually happens.

1. Deal with any physical/nutritional issues first.

As pointed out by Mark Hyman, M.D., there are a large number of common medical or nutritional issues that can case mental problems including depression. These include Vitamin B or D deficiencies, hypothyroidism, heavy metal toxicity, pre-diabetes, infection, gluten allergy, omega 3 fat deficiency and others. If you have any of these common issues, the best thing to do is surely to address them first. For references, see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPRp_K6QQY

The UltraMind Solution: Fix Your Broken Brain by Healing Your Body First: M.D. Mark Hyman: 9780743570480: Amazon.com: Books

The latter book by Mark Hyman is a great resource for diet as well. I often also use Andrew Weil’s web pages as a source of information.

2. Try all the safe healthy ways to overcome depression next.

Very often if people see an M.D. and have the symptoms of depression, they are immediately put on an antidepressant. However, I think that this is a terrible idea. Antidepressant drugs have dangerous short and long term side-effects, can lead to dependence and often don’t work:

Why Antidepressants Don?t Work for Treating Depression - Dr. Mark Hyman

Negative Effects of Antidepressants | Mad in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFbs8s3VI6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R6MXO2j0V0

It is important to realize that because of oppositional tolerance, taking these drugs may cause negative changes in your brain, which may be irreversible. It’s also important to realize that the “chemical imbalance” theory of depression is wrong (see the references above). If you have depression, you are not fated by biology to take drugs in order to get better.

Because of all this, it seems so much better to first try all of the safe, easy and/or healthy ways to overcome depression first, before even considering a drug approach. Promising things to try include exercise (walking, running, swimming, yoga, weight training, for instance), improving your diet and taking supplements (see Mark Hyman’s books for great advice and for inspiration about what this can do), meditation, improving your sleep, talk therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, light therapy and mind training. I especially recommend starting with SNAP CLUB as described at the top of this thread. It is easy and fun and usually works and sometimes works spectacularly well, and, when it works, it really helps you take further steps on your upward healthy path.

3. If 1. And 2. above fail and you are desperate, go to the next steps with a medical doctor.

I suspect that in almost all cases of depression, a serious attempt at some combination of 1 and 2 above will greatly help or completely solve the problem, but that’s really only a guess on my part. Meditation is a good example of the need to try seriously, I think. If you look in the depression success stories on this site, you’ll see that some people have completely resolved their depression, just with meditation. They also report, however, that it takes a solid couple of weeks of doing it before they get the big benefit. There are cases that I believe (on this forum and elsewhere) where people report that antidepressant drugs work dramatically well for them, even in the long term. This sometimes happens only after trying many different drug combinations. If nothing at all works in 1 or 2 above, you may have to try this, after, of course assessing the risks with a Medical Doctor. I have heard similar testimonials from people for whom only Electroconvulsive Therapy worked. See, for example,

Sherwin Nuland: How electroshock therapy changed me | Talk Video | TED.com

and people for whom nothing worked except for a cyngulotomy. See, for example,

Andrew Solomon: Depression, the secret we share | Talk Video | TED.com.

Now GO GET EM!!

As Stephen Colbert used to say: I’LL SEE YOU IN HEALTH!!!

- vital
vital is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #106
vital
Grand Poohbah
 
vital's Avatar
vital has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,589
5 yr Member
1,799 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Hi everybody;

SNAP CLUB is going to be tried with real patients in one of the local hospitals in Boston this Spring. - vital
vital is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #107
borncatastrophe77
Member
borncatastrophe77 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: texas, USA
Posts: 64
5 yr Member
26 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

What if your depression is truly caused by raising how much of a failure you are? What if it's caused by thinking about,or some one pointing out how you have hurry so many close to you?
I feel like I'm at the bottom of the totem pole and would take me to change but I'm not sure how
borncatastrophe77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #108
ajohnson45
Member
ajohnson45 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 113
5 yr Member
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by borncatastrophe77 View Post
What if your depression is truly caused by raising how much of a failure you are? What if it's caused by thinking about,or some one pointing out how you have hurry so many close to you?
I feel like I'm at the bottom of the totem pole and would take me to change but I'm not sure how
There's no way for me to be cured. I'm permanently ****ed.
ajohnson45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #109
borncatastrophe77
Member
borncatastrophe77 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: texas, USA
Posts: 64
5 yr Member
26 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson45 View Post
There's no way for me to be cured. I'm permanently ****ed.
There is a way. You, just like me, are not getting what you need to either be motivated or empowered to feel like change is within you.

I was feeling so down today. I mean horribly horribly hopeless. My son, my 15 year old son said to me: mom, just remember that what ever we go through is just preparing us for what's to come, to make sure we are strong enough to handle the greatness to come.
I told him, my own problem is that my issues cause me to wonder whether life is preparing me for greatness or my endless destruction.
He said, you just have to keep you're eyes on the prize. Stay positive.

I have to keep in mind that life is preparing me for whatever I decide is in my future. Whatever I decide I'm preparing for. It could be my destruction or my greatness.

I could coach and motivate for days, but when it comes to me I think I'm the horrible exception to the rule. That I'm just a failure from birth to death. I was groomed for failure and given no tools to handle the hurdles in life. ......I'm an endless negative voice to my self. I underStand why I'm difficult to be around
borncatastrophe77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #110
vital
Grand Poohbah
 
vital's Avatar
vital has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,589
5 yr Member
1,799 hugs
given
Default Re: How I understood and then escaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by borncatastrophe77 View Post
There is a way. You, just like me, are not getting what you need to either be motivated or empowered to feel like change is within you.

I was feeling so down today. I mean horribly horribly hopeless. My son, my 15 year old son said to me: mom, just remember that what ever we go through is just preparing us for what's to come, to make sure we are strong enough to handle the greatness to come.
I told him, my own problem is that my issues cause me to wonder whether life is preparing me for greatness or my endless destruction.
He said, you just have to keep you're eyes on the prize. Stay positive.

I have to keep in mind that life is preparing me for whatever I decide is in my future. Whatever I decide I'm preparing for. It could be my destruction or my greatness.

I could coach and motivate for days, but when it comes to me I think I'm the horrible exception to the rule. That I'm just a failure from birth to death. I was groomed for failure and given no tools to handle the hurdles in life. ......I'm an endless negative voice to my self. I underStand why I'm difficult to be around
Hi born, ajohnson,

There is a funny article about this from the Onion. It's basically answering the question "But what if I am depressed because I AM a total loser?"

Study: Depression Hits Losers Hardest | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

It's funny because it's insightful, but it's backwards. Bad things happen to depressed people, making them "losers". It's not the other way around where some intrinsic "loser" quality makes people vulnerable to depression.

Not everyone would agree with me, but I think I'm really right about this. I don't think that anyone is fated by biology or chemistry or genetics to be depressed. I don't think that past failures or childhood history fates someone to be depressed either. I think that depression is created by a specific psychological process that you can stop once you realize what it is and how to stop doing it. Once you stop, you slowly start to heal over a few months.

The nice thing is that SNAP CLUB is so easy to try. It's safe and fun to do and works quickly and requires essentially no will power. Why not give it a try?

- vital
vital is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.