advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 AM   #1
fallaximago
Member
 
fallaximago's Avatar
fallaximago I go insane a thousand times
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: up above the world
Posts: 128
56 hugs
given
Default Daydreaming with a passion

I think I need to stop daydreaming so often. My mind moves in all directions and I keep dreaming and dreaming without ever knowing whether I'd truly have the guts and abilities to pursue any of those avenues. For example, I'm fascinated by a particular kind of electronic music, although it's a widely despised term many call it "folktronica" (there's also chillwave but I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about all the contemporary strains of electronic music) It's a very beautiful, dreamy genre, usually featuring a mix of electronic and acoustic instruments. It just feels so colorful and fancy, I love it. I keep telling myself that it'd be great to be able to compose such music but I'm already in my 30's and I know nothing about the technical side of music. I just wish I could find a subject that wouldn't feel like a total chore to learn and get lost in. I wonder whether I could actually do this. This feels so bad
fallaximago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
2daffodils
Magnate
 
2daffodils's Avatar
2daffodils has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,650
5 yr Member
2,381 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

I don't think there's much wrong with daydreaming. But if all your time is consumed with it, I can try to see your problem. I often wish I could get my imagination and daydreaming back. Pursuing your dreams, is important to most. Whether it's productive or not is another thing, I suppose..... you are looking for more purpose? A job in the music field? Do you have other interests you could pursue? hugs
2daffodils is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
fallaximago
Member
 
fallaximago's Avatar
fallaximago I go insane a thousand times
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: up above the world
Posts: 128
56 hugs
given
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daffodils View Post
I don't think there's much wrong with daydreaming. But if all your time is consumed with it, I can try to see your problem. I often wish I could get my imagination and daydreaming back. Pursuing your dreams, is important to most. Whether it's productive or not is another thing, I suppose..... you are looking for more purpose? A job in the music field? Do you have other interests you could pursue? hugs
I used to daydream a lot more but it gave me joy. I invented song lyrics in my head, even whole songs or bands. It was fun. Then, when I tried to study and failed at it, I started daydreaming about doing this and that but nothing I've ever tried has really caught my attention.

I used to read all sorts of books and write poetry. Now, it's somewhat more difficult. I used to write music reviews for an online magazine and sometimes I think about going back to that, I'd need to speak to my former "boss" (I did it for free) and I haven't been in touch with him for close to two years I'm trying to rekindle my passion for music but it's very difficult, I can only manage to listen to instrumental music and songs I already know now. I feel like I can't connect and understand songs and genres the way I used to.
fallaximago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Só leigheas
Grand Magnate
 
Só leigheas's Avatar
Só leigheas is down in the forest.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Doing donuts in the parking lot
Posts: 4,138 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
9,690 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

I learned a lot of the technical side within three months of just working on it an hour a day. I learned Logic and Protools. Daydreaming isn't a bad thing, especially if it's over a passion. I say pursue it. It's some of the most fun I've ever had.
__________________
"Give him his freedom and he'll remember his humanity."
Só leigheas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
fallaximago
Member
 
fallaximago's Avatar
fallaximago I go insane a thousand times
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: up above the world
Posts: 128
56 hugs
given
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Só leigheas View Post
I learned a lot of the technical side within three months of just working on it an hour a day. I learned Logic and Protools. Daydreaming isn't a bad thing, especially if it's over a passion. I say pursue it. It's some of the most fun I've ever had.
Hey! Do you have a background in music and play an instrument? That's quite interesting. I want to fool around with Magix Music Maker, just because it's so simple and newbie-friendly. I've also ordered a book about music theory, I hope I don't get bored or discouraged after a while, fingers crossed!
fallaximago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever
 
Fuzzybear's Avatar
Fuzzybear has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Cave.
Posts: 81,582 (SuperPoster!)
15 yr Member
54.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

__________________
Fuzzybear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder
 
MickeyCheeky's Avatar
MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 9,789 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
33.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

((((fallaximago)))) I'm sorry you're struggling. I can relate as I struggle with daydreaming, as well. But perhaps you could try to pursue a musical career, since that's where your mind is leading you... does that interest you?
MickeyCheeky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
Só leigheas
Grand Magnate
 
Só leigheas's Avatar
Só leigheas is down in the forest.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Doing donuts in the parking lot
Posts: 4,138 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
9,690 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallaximago View Post
Hey! Do you have a background in music and play an instrument? That's quite interesting. I want to fool around with Magix Music Maker, just because it's so simple and newbie-friendly. I've also ordered a book about music theory, I hope I don't get bored or discouraged after a while, fingers crossed!
I'm not as familiar with that program but have heard great things about it from a friend. Yeah, I play piano and am currently learning guitar, I also used to mix. I miss it, haha.

I hope that you don't get discouraged. It takes time, practice and endless amounts of patience. I believe you can do this.
__________________
"Give him his freedom and he'll remember his humanity."
Só leigheas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #9
fallaximago
Member
 
fallaximago's Avatar
fallaximago I go insane a thousand times
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: up above the world
Posts: 128
56 hugs
given
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCheeky View Post
((((fallaximago)))) I'm sorry you're struggling. I can relate as I struggle with daydreaming, as well. But perhaps you could try to pursue a musical career, since that's where your mind is leading you... does that interest you?
I'm not sure Sometimes I wonder what it'd feel like to find something you'd really like to do. Does it fill you with joy? Does it make you impervious to obstacles and difficulties? I've never experienced anything like that. Maybe I should ask that to my therapist.
fallaximago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #10
fallaximago
Member
 
fallaximago's Avatar
fallaximago I go insane a thousand times
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: up above the world
Posts: 128
56 hugs
given
Default Re: Daydreaming with a passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Só leigheas View Post
I'm not as familiar with that program but have heard great things about it from a friend. Yeah, I play piano and am currently learning guitar, I also used to mix. I miss it, haha.

I hope that you don't get discouraged. It takes time, practice and endless amounts of patience. I believe you can do this.
That's so cool! I'd like to listen if you compose anything using those programs.
fallaximago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.