Laziness/entitlement - Page 2 - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 03:04 PM #11
SilverTrees's Avatar
SilverTrees SilverTrees is online now
Poohbah
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Here
Posts: 1,019
SilverTrees SilverTrees is online now
Poohbah
SilverTrees's Avatar
SilverTrees is wishing everyone peace and hope.
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Here
Posts: 1,019 (SuperPoster!)

1,263 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyedgrunt84 View Post
I resent having to look for a job right now. It's so stressful and I don't know what say. Plus why do i have to give my time to someone just to be offered enough to barely survive on and maybe a couple days a week to do what I want...if that. There I said it I think maybe I do have an entitled mentality but it's my life it's my time and I don't get anymore I'm so tired of everyone else having control of what I do with my time. I'm so tired. I feel like admitting you don't want a job is tantamount to admitting to a murder in the US at least, maybe it's better abroad, I don't know. I'm probably just not talented or ambitious enough to live life on my terms in the way I want, or maybe I'm just stubborn.
Hello annoyedgrunt. Sorry you're struggling. I don't think you've said or done anything wrong here. You feel how you feel, right? There are no wrong feelings. As I read a few more of your posts on the thread, I thought you sounded very depressed. Is depression something you are diagnosed with? New? Long-term? Hard to perceive value or joy in anything, work or otherwise, when we feel depressed.

I heard a yogi say that the difference between heaven and hell is whether we are doing something willingly. Perhaps if you could find work that you feel willing to do, something you value, you'd feel better about it?

I can relate to what you said about feeling that someone else owns your time or dictates your schedule. I'd love to meet the person who decided that we all have to work at least 40 hours and 5 days on, 2 days off. I personally have been a workaholic for many years and I have recently been thinking of how to change my life. Work is only one piece. And honestly, my work (though valued by society as helping others) never brought me any real personal happiness or fulfillment so I think I need to make changes. I would at least like to reduce to 4 days on and 3 days off though that may not be possible.

In Japan there are many adults literally working themselves to death. They even have a word for it now: Karōshi (過労死). They work such long hours that their bodies can no longer survive. I watched a documentary about it. Very disturbing.

Your point about the U.S. is well made. I think a lot of people assume that if someone is not working, that's a reflection of their character somehow. There are all sorts of reasons why people don't work or don't want to work. We cannot know what is in another person's mind or soul....nor is it our right to find out. I think we should each keep our eyes on our own yoga mat, so to speak

It is no surprise to me that someone who sounds very depressed is not excited about the prospect of a job. I've lived with chronic depression since childhood. I have dragged myself to work for years. That is exhausting and can be very disheartening.

I hope you can find something which brings you peace or joy. You deserve it.

Last edited by SilverTrees; 03-25-2019 at 03:17 PM.
SilverTrees is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-25-2019, 03:54 PM #12
WishfulThinker66's Avatar
WishfulThinker66 WishfulThinker66 is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,742
WishfulThinker66 WishfulThinker66 is offline
Grand Poohbah
WishfulThinker66's Avatar
WishfulThinker66 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,742 (SuperPoster!)

134 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyedgrunt84 View Post
I resent having to look for a job right now. It's so stressful and I don't know what say. Plus why do i have to give my time to someone just to be offered enough to barely survive on and maybe a couple days a week to do what I want...if that. There I said it I think maybe I do have an entitled mentality but it's my life it's my time and I don't get anymore I'm so tired of everyone else having control of what I do with my time. I'm so tired. I feel like admitting you don't want a job is tantamount to admitting to a murder in the US at least, maybe it's better abroad, I don't know. I'm probably just not talented or ambitious enough to live life on my terms in the way I want, or maybe I'm just stubborn.
I am reading this again and really have the impression you do have a sense of entitlement. It sounds like you expect something for nothing - a great deal of it in fact.

I think it a very rare thing indeed for someone to be fortunate enough to be doing something they absolutely love to do without stress or difficult moments. Congratulations to them. I must be doing something wrong.

The point is we have obligations and commitments to adhere to in life. Contributing to our lifestyle is one of them. If you can't work (I stress "can't") or contribute financially it is then necessary to find other ways to do so. Life isn't free. I don't work. I do have a small income however. I contribute most of that into the household and you can be darned sure that I am always looking for additional ways to do so. It is my obligation. It is part of being an adult. So I cook, clean, make sure the dog is walked and otherwise ensure I am pretty damn busy doing my share. Unless you have some physical limitations preventing you from doing so, you had better be doing your part to 'pay' for your living arrangement.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 PM #13
Ptak's Avatar
Ptak Ptak is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Home
Posts: 288
Ptak Ptak is offline
Member
Ptak's Avatar
Ptak has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Home
Posts: 288 (SuperPoster!)

345 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Hi Annoyedgrunt. You have some very keen observations and I agree with your insights. I'm referring to your OP. Haven't read the rest of the thread. I hope it felt good to blow off a little steam. It's unfortunate and true, what you say, imo, too. I do not see you as entitled. I see someone who sees through the system that is United States capitalism.
Ptak is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-25-2019, 04:02 PM #14
Ptak's Avatar
Ptak Ptak is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Home
Posts: 288
Ptak Ptak is offline
Member
Ptak's Avatar
Ptak has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Home
Posts: 288 (SuperPoster!)

345 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohseedee View Post
Is it the fact that you have to work at all, or the fact that you have to work in a field you don't enjoy? There's a big difference between these two.

Working in a field that does not mesh well with your strengths and desires can be very soul-sucking. For example, I cannot work in the restaurant industry anymore because it is far too fast-paced and stressful. I decided to go to school to get involved in a field I am passionate about, and will be graduating soon. Perhaps it's just a matter of finding out where you -want- to work? What interests do you have, what are you passionate about?
I second this question from Ohseedee, because to me there is a big difference too.
Ptak is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:02 PM #15
SilverTrees's Avatar
SilverTrees SilverTrees is online now
Poohbah
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Here
Posts: 1,019
SilverTrees SilverTrees is online now
Poohbah
SilverTrees's Avatar
SilverTrees is wishing everyone peace and hope.
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Here
Posts: 1,019 (SuperPoster!)

1,263 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptak View Post
Hi Annoyedgrunt. You have some very keen observations and I agree with your insights. I'm referring to your OP. Haven't read the rest of the thread. I hope it felt good to blow off a little steam. It's unfortunate and true, what you say, imo, too. I do not see you as entitled. I see someone who sees through the system that is United States capitalism.
I agree with you Ptak. I also do not perceive AnnoyedGrunt as entitled. I hope that was clear from my post! Sometimes I go off on my own little tangents! Haha. Keep sharing and posting if you feel like it AnnoyedGrunt. You have our support here on PC.
SilverTrees is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 PM #16
Ptak's Avatar
Ptak Ptak is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Home
Posts: 288
Ptak Ptak is offline
Member
Ptak's Avatar
Ptak has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Home
Posts: 288 (SuperPoster!)

345 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
I am reading this again and really have the impression you do have a sense of entitlement. It sounds like you expect something for nothing - a great deal of it in fact.

I think it a very rare thing indeed for someone to be fortunate enough to be doing something they absolutely love to do without stress or difficult moments. Congratulations to them. I must be doing something wrong.

The point is we have obligations and commitments to adhere to in life. Contributing to our lifestyle is one of them. If you can't work (I stress "can't") or contribute financially it is then necessary to find other ways to do so. Life isn't free. I don't work. I do have a small income however. I contribute most of that into the household and you can be darned sure that I am always looking for additional ways to do so. It is my obligation. It is part of being an adult. So I cook, clean, make sure the dog is walked and otherwise ensure I am pretty damn busy doing my share. Unless you have some physical limitations preventing you from doing so, you had better be doing your part to 'pay' for your living arrangement.
The OP could have been blowing off steam. We don't know. They also said that they are stressed out by the idea of work, and afraid. That doesn't sound like entitlement to me. It sounds like...what they just said: stressed and afraid of working. It sounds to me like its stopping the OP in their tracks.

I don't think they're being entitled in the extreme or classic sense. However, I agree with what you said that we should not expect things for free. We do need to work, and help out, and reciprocate, as part of our community, family, etc. In my perspective, that is a concept for some that can easily be forgotten. And there are aspects of work that are just plain not fun. I am learning this as I go, as well. Interesting how many animals do not have to work though. It seems like a human thing to me. If, that is, you think humans are animals, which I personally do. But yeah it may also have to do with how one is brought up. Or just not having parents or parental figures who explained why we need to work or stressed its importance. I've often wondered that myself and I also did not have parents or parental figures who told me why it was important.

I'm disabled. I am afraid to work (I have heard that a lot of people who have been on disability or haven't worked in a long time, find moving towards work scary - it is common) and have trouble showing up to some social things / keeping certain commitments, but I am also addressing these fears and behavioral issues so that I can work in the future, and for various other reasons as well. It is part of my personal recovery plan.
Ptak is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-25-2019, 04:40 PM #17
SilverTrees's Avatar
SilverTrees SilverTrees is online now
Poohbah
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Here
Posts: 1,019
SilverTrees SilverTrees is online now
Poohbah
SilverTrees's Avatar
SilverTrees is wishing everyone peace and hope.
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Here
Posts: 1,019 (SuperPoster!)

1,263 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptak View Post
The OP could have been blowing off steam. We don't know. They also said that they are stressed out by the idea of work, and afraid. That doesn't sound like entitlement to me. It sounds like...what they just said: stressed and afraid of working. It sounds to me like its stopping the OP in their tracks.

I don't think they're being entitled in the extreme or classic sense. However, I agree with what you said that we should not expect things for free. We do need to work, and help out, and reciprocate, as part of our community, family, etc. In my perspective, that is a concept for some that can easily be forgotten. And there are aspects of work that are just plain not fun. I am learning this as I go, as well. Interesting how many animals do not have to work though. It seems like a human thing to me. If, that is, you think humans are animals, which I personally do. But yeah it may also have to do with how one is brought up. Or just not having parents or parental figures who explained why we need to work or stressed its importance. I've often wondered that myself and I also did not have parents or parental figures who told me why it was important.

I'm disabled. I am afraid to work (I have heard that a lot of people who have been on disability or haven't worked in a long time, find moving towards work scary - it is common) and have trouble showing up to some social things / keeping certain commitments, but I am also addressing these fears and behavioral issues so that I can work in the future, and for various other reasons as well. It is part of my personal recovery plan.
Your comment about animals is interesting Ptak. Perhaps they do work in the sense that they have to go to lengths to hunt their food or to protect their offspring from predators or to survive the elements.

Your personal recovery plan sounds wonderful. I hope it works out for you!
SilverTrees is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-26-2019, 12:20 PM #18
WishfulThinker66's Avatar
WishfulThinker66 WishfulThinker66 is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,742
WishfulThinker66 WishfulThinker66 is offline
Grand Poohbah
WishfulThinker66's Avatar
WishfulThinker66 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,742 (SuperPoster!)

134 hugs
given
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptak;6480566t
......I'm disabled. I am afraid to work (I have heard that a lot of people who have been on disability or haven't worked in a long time, find moving towards work scary - it is common) and have trouble showing up to some social things / keeping certain commitments, but I am also addressing these fears and behavioral issues so that I can work in the future, and for various other reasons as well. It is part of my personal recovery plan.
Yes, I came off rather abrupt. As mentioned though this is of something near to me. It is a moot point which rather tends to boil me up. I came across sounding utterly like a bag. However, my opinion hasn't changed.

But I do want to say I have some understanding of your own situation. I too have not been able to have any luck with employment stability. My mood disorder - particularly anxiety - prevents me from sticking with any one job. I do have an income though and thus am able to contribute financially. As mentioned I also contribute in other ways too.

I guess what I was saying previously comes down to the fact that I believe everyone should in someway be earning their keep. Where I could be wrong was my quick assumption that the OP is not doing this.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM #19
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 divine1966 is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 13,403
divine1966 divine1966 is online now
Legendary
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 13,403 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
449 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

I love my job but I am pretty tired, my job is stressful and very demanding. So I think after many years of non stop working I feel I kind of wish I could just not work. But as most people I have to pay bills. Plus I enjoy nice things/travel etc. Are you on disability? If not I canít imagine managing without employment, is someone else supporting you? For most people job is a necessity, not a choice or luxury.
divine1966 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:24 PM #20
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed Mountaindewed is offline
Elder
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the red fern grows.
Posts: 6,935
Mountaindewed Mountaindewed is offline
Elder
Mountaindewed's Avatar
Mountaindewed I like eggs.
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Where the red fern grows.
Posts: 6,935 (SuperPoster!)

2 yr Member
55 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Laziness/entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
I am reading this again and really have the impression you do have a sense of entitlement. It sounds like you expect something for nothing - a great deal of it in fact.

I think it a very rare thing indeed for someone to be fortunate enough to be doing something they absolutely love to do without stress or difficult moments. Congratulations to them. I must be doing something wrong.

The point is we have obligations and commitments to adhere to in life. Contributing to our lifestyle is one of them. If you can't work (I stress "can't") or contribute financially it is then necessary to find other ways to do so. Life isn't free. I don't work. I do have a small income however. I contribute most of that into the household and you can be darned sure that I am always looking for additional ways to do so. It is my obligation. It is part of being an adult. So I cook, clean, make sure the dog is walked and otherwise ensure I am pretty damn busy doing my share. Unless you have some physical limitations preventing you from doing so, you had better be doing your part to 'pay' for your living arrangement.
I agree with you about contributing around the house.


My brother is disabled. He has severe OCD and autism. My mom claims he canít work. He does nothing to contribute at home. He doesnít help with the yard work, house work, or anything. But my mom will get on me if Iím not doing these things despite the fact Iím working a part time job. I find it really unfair. If heís not working then I think he should be doing things around the house yet all he does is sit in front of the TV watching the same series. Iíve talked before with my mom about this and she just turns it into a personal attack on me about how Iím not doing enough. She babyís him and she will not see that he has a problem. Itís just really frustrating.
__________________
Squidward: Spongebob! What are you doing in there?
Spongebob: crying my eyes out.
Squidward: Well, hurry up! I gotta cry too!

Rupaul: You can call me he, you can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathy Lee. I donít care, as long as you call me.
Mountaindewed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.