Phobias linked to NPD? - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 AM #1
Smsnipes Smsnipes is offline
New Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 2
Smsnipes Smsnipes is offline
New Member
Smsnipes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 2

1 yr Member
Default Phobias linked to NPD?

Hello,

I recently got out of a relationship with whom I believe from countless hours of research could have NPD. I hate to self diagnose, but at this point its all that I have. My question is this; Is it common for someone that has NPD to have phobias such as claustrophobia or others linked? Why I ask is that my now ex girlfriend, even during the initial love bombing phase of the relationship for the first month or so would say she was claustrophobic when id put my hands on her head while kissing, or if she was beneath me while kissing. I could tell she was genuine in her fear and that she was definitely not faking it. Any insight is appreciated!
Smsnipes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-02-2018, 12:40 PM #2
Atypical_Disaster's Avatar
Atypical_Disaster Atypical_Disaster is offline
Elder
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: None of your business.
Posts: 6,846
Atypical_Disaster Atypical_Disaster is offline
Elder
Atypical_Disaster's Avatar
Atypical_Disaster has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: None of your business.
Posts: 6,846 (SuperPoster!)

8 yr Member
7,514 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Phobias linked to NPD?

Narcissists are perfectly capable of fear and of having phobias, they have emotions just like everyone else.
Atypical_Disaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:48 PM #3
NothingPeopleDo NothingPeopleDo is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 51
NothingPeopleDo NothingPeopleDo is offline
Member
NothingPeopleDo has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 51

2 yr Member
Default Re: Phobias linked to NPD?

Breaking news,”Narcissists have feelings too” just like real people...
NothingPeopleDo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-02-2018, 05:48 PM #4
Smsnipes Smsnipes is offline
New Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 2
Smsnipes Smsnipes is offline
New Member
Smsnipes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 2

1 yr Member
Default Re: Phobias linked to NPD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingPeopleDo View Post
Breaking news,”Narcissists have feelings too” just like real people...
Maybe I should have reworded my question to ask, are they more likely to have linked anxieties and phobias than non npd's? I thought I read somewhere that female npds are linked to having a higher chance of bipolar 2 and other general anxieties. I'll see if I can find the source.
Smsnipes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 AM #5
NothingPeopleDo NothingPeopleDo is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 51
NothingPeopleDo NothingPeopleDo is offline
Member
NothingPeopleDo has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 51

2 yr Member
Default Re: Phobias linked to NPD?

I believe when others talk about NPD it becomes such a diluted discussion that it is very hard for people to truly understand. So many have been hurt by ones like me that the descriptions become attacking and misleading other than factional. It's easy to see, just look up NPD and you get all the NPD scholars with their points that are from a place of hurt rather than facts.
A great quote I have used many times here:

NPD is one of the few conditions where the patient is left alone and everyone else is treated. Very true!!!
NothingPeopleDo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:42 PM #6
here today here today is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: SE USA
Posts: 3,008
here today here today is offline
Grand Magnate
here today has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: SE USA
Posts: 3,008

5 yr Member
1,070 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Phobias linked to NPD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingPeopleDo View Post
I believe when others talk about NPD it becomes such a diluted discussion that it is very hard for people to truly understand. So many have been hurt by ones like me that the descriptions become attacking and misleading other than factional. It's easy to see, just look up NPD and you get all the NPD scholars with their points that are from a place of hurt rather than facts.
A great quote I have used many times here:

NPD is one of the few conditions where the patient is left alone and everyone else is treated. Very true!!!
How do people -- anybody -- get beyond hurt. People may have retaliatory and avoidance feelings toward people who have hurt us, for good reason. BUT THEN WHAT.

Looking at facts -- then we have a chance to do something differently, to change things. That's what science does. Why not psychology? Possibly because the study of personality disorders isn't done by science-oriented psychologists but by the clinical psychologists, whose focus is "therapy". It's a real messed up system, I think, but not one I see any way to help change any time in the near future.

I'm willing to looked at my messed up ways of doing things and try to learn to do some things better. But I've given up on "therapy" after more years of believing that it would "help" than I'd like to admit. I'm currently trying the support group "Adult Children of Alcoholic and Dysfunctional Families". I would prefer something that provided more non-judgmental feedback about how I come across to people, but lots of folks are leery of that. What I would like is to look at the facts -- sorry about the hurt, yeah sure (and I for one really mean that, I have a horrible problem with shame and guilt), but THEN WHAT. Shame, guilt, and regret don't change the past, and if you don't have any understanding and acceptance of why you do things that hurt other people, then it's going to be very hard to change or "make amends" no matter how much you may want to.

That's my experience, anyway. But, like I said, I don't have NPD. Just a Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:34 AM #7
Julia150's Avatar
Julia150 Julia150 is offline
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Hungary
Posts: 12
Julia150 Julia150 is offline
Junior Member
Julia150's Avatar
Julia150 I have conduct disorder
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Hungary
Posts: 12

1 yr Member
Default Re: Phobias linked to NPD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsnipes View Post
Hello,

I recently got out of a relationship with whom I believe from countless hours of research could have NPD. I hate to self diagnose, but at this point its all that I have. My question is this; Is it common for someone that has NPD to have phobias such as claustrophobia or others linked? Why I ask is that my now ex girlfriend, even during the initial love bombing phase of the relationship for the first month or so would say she was claustrophobic when id put my hands on her head while kissing, or if she was beneath me while kissing. I could tell she was genuine in her fear and that she was definitely not faking it. Any insight is appreciated!
I believe that any narcissist can have any phobia because they feel emotions like anybody else. I have met many narcissists with different phobias.
__________________
Conduct Disorder


I don't give a flying f*** about their opinions about me.
Julia150 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.