holiday eating support! - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 AM #1
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
2,346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default holiday eating support!

a thread for tips on how to help our eating over the holidays

1 thing I like to do is have a big meal on christmas eve (a party food type thing), the Idea is to get pretty full so I don't want much on christmas day

the other thing I find helps me is, because i'm distracted by the christmas specials on tv and all the music and lights, I don't find myself going online as much to order stuff. I eat what I have left in the house (and if that's not much, it's not much)

stick to what I have

does anyone have some good holiday eating tips?. what Are they?
raging vortex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 10-30-2016, 09:15 PM #2
LucyD's Avatar
LucyD LucyD is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,753
LucyD LucyD is offline
Grand Poohbah
LucyD's Avatar
LucyD Summer is on the way...yech
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,753

3 yr Member
1,638 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

On the holidays I call the holidays "Celebration Days" and really don't restrict my eating much on them. I may, however, this year try to eat more sensibly, maybe. Smaller portions just so I don't feel so overly stuffed and bloated like I usually do. I usually feel so very stuffed it's ridiculous!! Not a good feeling.
__________________
One way to get the best out of life is to think of it as an adventure.
William Feather


Medications: Risperidone-2 mg.daily, Propranolol-10 mg. daily, Gabapentin-900 mg daily, Melatonin-3 mg. at bedtime, Nicotine Lozenges-2 mg., Vape Liquid-3 mg., Women's One A Day Vitamins, 1 Potassium tablet
LucyD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:25 PM #3
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa upleveling
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
913 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

I will be continuing the ketogenic diet so that means the holidays won't exist for me. I won't eat any processed foods or baked goods, high carb veggies, stuffing, or desserts. Might as well just skip over into January.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-31-2016, 07:17 AM #4
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
2,346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
I will be continuing the ketogenic diet so that means the holidays won't exist for me. I won't eat any processed foods or baked goods, high carb veggies, stuffing, or desserts. Might as well just skip over into January.


ketogenic diet?

what's that
raging vortex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-31-2016, 03:44 PM #5
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa upleveling
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
913 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

Low carb high fat. Supposed to really help with many things...can cure prediabetes, is supposed to help with bipolar and other MI, Alzheimer prevention. The reason is because the body goes into ketosis, which means it is burning fat and not sugar for energy. This supposedly stabilizes brain chemistry. It even may prevent cancer because cancer feeds on sugar and with this diet the body is burning fat, not sugar.

The problem is....it takes real commitment because low carbs means no processed foods...no pizza, pasta, bread, grains, cereal, beer, wine, cakes, cookies, candy etc.

I mainly eat chicken, vegetables, eggs, salad, avocados, cottage cheese, olives, and turkey. Some fish.

I'm giving it 90 more days than am probably going to switch to modified Paleo.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-01-2016, 05:13 AM #6
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
2,346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
Low carb high fat. Supposed to really help with many things...can cure prediabetes, is supposed to help with bipolar and other MI, Alzheimer prevention. The reason is because the body goes into ketosis, which means it is burning fat and not sugar for energy. This supposedly stabilizes brain chemistry. It even may prevent cancer because cancer feeds on sugar and with this diet the body is burning fat, not sugar.

The problem is....it takes real commitment because low carbs means no processed foods...no pizza, pasta, bread, grains, cereal, beer, wine, cakes, cookies, candy etc.

I mainly eat chicken, vegetables, eggs, salad, avocados, cottage cheese, olives, and turkey. Some fish.

I'm giving it 90 more days than am probably going to switch to modified Paleo.


it sounds like it helps with a lot of stuf, but I couldn't

A life without candy?

no.. I couldn't do that
raging vortex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-01-2016, 05:13 AM #7
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
2,346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

not to mention, half the stuff you mention you eat I don't like
raging vortex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-01-2016, 04:50 PM #8
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa upleveling
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
913 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

Sugar causes blood glucose levels to spike. It can also lead to insulin resistance which could lead to diabetes.

I guess eating candy or sweets occasionally is okay, but most people I know who eat sugar are pretty addictive. They drink 6 or 8 cans of soda and daily eat candy.

I am sorry to say but this is as bad as smoking in terms of the long-term consequences on health.

The diet I am describing is pretty much what a diabetic would have to eat. So eating a lot of sugar could cause diabetes and then these foods would be the required ones.

It's a boring diet but I think good. I think I will stick with it. If I go a little off on the holidays it isn't really going to have that bad an effect.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-02-2016, 04:34 AM #9
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838
raging vortex raging vortex is offline
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: the asylum
Posts: 26,838 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
2,346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
Sugar causes blood glucose levels to spike. It can also lead to insulin resistance which could lead to diabetes.

I guess eating candy or sweets occasionally is okay, but most people I know who eat sugar are pretty addictive. They drink 6 or 8 cans of soda and daily eat candy.

I am sorry to say but this is as bad as smoking in terms of the long-term consequences on health.

The diet I am describing is pretty much what a diabetic would have to eat. So eating a lot of sugar could cause diabetes and then these foods would be the required ones.

It's a boring diet but I think good. I think I will stick with it. If I go a little off on the holidays it isn't really going to have that bad an effect.


quite possibly

but it is a risk I am willing to take.
raging vortex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 AM #10
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112
DechanDawa DechanDawa is offline
Grand Magnate
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa upleveling
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
913 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: holiday eating support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered sanity View Post
quite possibly

but it is a risk I am willing to take.
You are young, I think? Then enjoy ...but by about 30 or 40 give diet serious consideration.

Personally I'm surprised I haven't read much about the ketogenic diet on PC because it is really supposed to help with MI.

Whole food is medicine.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.