Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 02:17 PM #1
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
pat86 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98

1 yr Member
Default Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

Has anyone found medications helpful with obsessiveness / having past events replay in your head over and over again. Many times its things that you are angry about but not all the time. Sometimes its just past social situations that will replay in my mind over and over again along with racing thoughts.


I have read people say depakote helped them with these issues.

Can anyone share what meds have helped them with these issues?
pat86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-30-2018, 02:52 PM #2
TicTacGo TicTacGo is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: South Africa
Posts: 416
TicTacGo TicTacGo is offline
Member
TicTacGo has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: South Africa
Posts: 416

2 yr Member
38 hugs
given
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

I understand why they may have said that Depakote may help, but I’m not sure that is the answer.

Something that does help (in conjunction with medication) is therapy.

In terms of medications, I really think that it depends. A doctor will be able to understand a more detailed explanation. Are the thoughts intrusive? (come from nothing or a trigger and are distressing)
__________________

• Venlafaxine
• Aripiprazole
• Propanolol
• Clonazepam
TicTacGo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-01-2018, 02:57 PM #3
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
pat86 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98

1 yr Member
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacGo View Post
I understand why they may have said that Depakote may help, but I’m not sure that is the answer.

Something that does help (in conjunction with medication) is therapy.

In terms of medications, I really think that it depends. A doctor will be able to understand a more detailed explanation. Are the thoughts intrusive? (come from nothing or a trigger and are distressing)

They kind of come out of no where. Like racing thoughts.
pat86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 PM #4
*Laurie* *Laurie* is offline
Account Suspended
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: California Uber Alles
Posts: 9,150
*Laurie* *Laurie* is offline
Account Suspended
*Laurie* has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: California Uber Alles
Posts: 9,150 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
5,400 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

Do you have a diagnosis?
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM #5
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
pat86 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98

1 yr Member
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
Do you have a diagnosis?
Yes Bipolar, ADHD,
pat86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 AM #6
88Butterfly88's Avatar
88Butterfly88 88Butterfly88 is offline
Warrior
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 45,205
88Butterfly88 88Butterfly88 is offline
Warrior
88Butterfly88's Avatar
88Butterfly88 is fluttering by
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 45,205 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
9,141 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

For obsessive thoughts an OCD med could help, such as Prozac or Luvox. Though given you are Bipolar maybe they could be stemming from mania and in that case a mood stabilizer may be better. You've got ADHD too, hmm. I don't have ADHD but they once tried Guanfacine for me because I couldn't focus due to intrusive thoughts. Guanfacine ended up making me hyper so I had to go off it but it likely wouldn't do that to someone with ADHD. Hard to say what the best thing to try first would be but I think you have options. Like TicTacGo said therapy may be helpful too. Also, you said past events. Are they traumatic events? If so you may want to try some PTSD treatment, whether it be therapy or meds.
88Butterfly88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 AM #7
dsmith dsmith is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 115
dsmith dsmith is offline
Member
dsmith has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 115

3 yr Member
70 hugs
given
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat86 View Post
Has anyone found medications helpful with obsessiveness / having past events replay in your head over and over again. Many times its things that you are angry about but not all the time. Sometimes its just past social situations that will replay in my mind over and over again along with racing thoughts.


I have read people say depakote helped them with these issues.

Can anyone share what meds have helped them with these issues?
I don't think there is any medication that would treat this per se, but rather cognitive behavioral therapy. I pulled up a bunch of articles on this topic - available here.

This is something I struggle with daily. I am constantly seized with guilt, regret, and shame about all the relationships I've ruined, jobs I've lost, and other embarrassing events. My therapist has provided me with a few tools for managing the problem. Chief among these is an "I Know That…" journal.

Basically, whenever I get stressed out I write down 5 things that I know are true (e.g., "I cooked breakfast this morning" or "I paid the bills this afternoon"). It helps me stay grounded, and adopt a clearer picture of what is taking place in the present.

There's also a technique called "mindfulness," in which we strive to remain in the present. Easier said than done for most of us. I've tried meditation, but it just doesn't work for me.

Hang in there - these are struggles that many of us face, and need to keep our heads high and continue trying to surmount.
__________________
Diagnosis: Bipolar I w/ Depression

Medications:
Lamictal
Lyrica
ECT - once / month
dsmith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:59 PM #8
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
pat86 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98

1 yr Member
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Butterfly88 View Post
For obsessive thoughts an OCD med could help, such as Prozac or Luvox. Though given you are Bipolar maybe they could be stemming from mania and in that case a mood stabilizer may be better. You've got ADHD too, hmm. I don't have ADHD but they once tried Guanfacine for me because I couldn't focus due to intrusive thoughts. Guanfacine ended up making me hyper so I had to go off it but it likely wouldn't do that to someone with ADHD. Hard to say what the best thing to try first would be but I think you have options. Like TicTacGo said therapy may be helpful too. Also, you said past events. Are they traumatic events? If so you may want to try some PTSD treatment, whether it be therapy or meds.

I think you are right a mood stabilizer would be helpful in addressing the racing thoughts and repetitive thoughts/obsessive thoughts.
pat86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-02-2018, 01:01 PM #9
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98
pat86 pat86 is offline
Member
pat86 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 98

1 yr Member
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Butterfly88 View Post
For obsessive thoughts an OCD med could help, such as Prozac or Luvox. Though given you are Bipolar maybe they could be stemming from mania and in that case a mood stabilizer may be better. You've got ADHD too, hmm. I don't have ADHD but they once tried Guanfacine for me because I couldn't focus due to intrusive thoughts. Guanfacine ended up making me hyper so I had to go off it but it likely wouldn't do that to someone with ADHD. Hard to say what the best thing to try first would be but I think you have options. Like TicTacGo said therapy may be helpful too. Also, you said past events. Are they traumatic events? If so you may want to try some PTSD treatment, whether it be therapy or meds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
I don't think there is any medication that would treat this per se, but rather cognitive behavioral therapy. I pulled up a bunch of articles on this topic - available here.

This is something I struggle with daily. I am constantly seized with guilt, regret, and shame about all the relationships I've ruined, jobs I've lost, and other embarrassing events. My therapist has provided me with a few tools for managing the problem. Chief among these is an "I Know That…" journal.

Basically, whenever I get stressed out I write down 5 things that I know are true (e.g., "I cooked breakfast this morning" or "I paid the bills this afternoon"). It helps me stay grounded, and adopt a clearer picture of what is taking place in the present.

There's also a technique called "mindfulness," in which we strive to remain in the present. Easier said than done for most of us. I've tried meditation, but it just doesn't work for me.

Hang in there - these are struggles that many of us face, and need to keep our heads high and continue trying to surmount.

I think its more of a chemical imbalance issue due to my bipolar and not really a cognitive behavioral issue.

plus I am not good with the whole journaling thing
pat86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 PM #10
still_crazy still_crazy is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: United States of America
Posts: 1,585
still_crazy still_crazy is offline
Grand Poohbah
still_crazy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: United States of America
Posts: 1,585

2 yr Member
2,981 hugs
given
Default Re: Medications for Obsessiveness/ Past events replaying in your head

ssri, ssnri, and some tca drugs can help with ocd and ruminations. that may or may not be a good idea for you, that's really up to your shrink. im in a similar situation...i get the sense some luvox may be in my future. ugh.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.