In Session Today: Part IV - Page 99 - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 06:48 AM #981
Echos Myron redux Echos Myron redux is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,805
Echos Myron redux Echos Myron redux is offline
Grand Poohbah
Echos Myron redux is tired
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,805 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
1,615 hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

I told him that last session hadn't come away with the assurance I wanted that he doesn't see me as a threat to his family. He said he consciously doesn't. I said I want to know that all of him doesn't. And he said there have been enough of these instances that something is going on for him and he doesn't know what it is.
I said it hurts that he can't give me that assurance. He said it troubles him that he can't.

About 10 minutes from the end I raised what he had said last week about me not asking for hugs, just going ahead and hugging him. I said I had noticed it too. He said it felt different from before, because before I had felt like he had initiated (he said he didn't feel like he had) but that now I don't seem to be experiencing it thst way.
My vision went weird. I stop I myself out of it. He asked what had happened and I told him. He said follow the thought you shook your self out of. What would you say?
I thought and said "I would want to say that I want you to initiate hugs".
Can't remember what was said immediately after that but shortly after he said "the thought I have is that I worry that if I initiated hugs you could experience that as abusive.
I said "I'm not actually saying you should initiate hugs. I said that because you asked me where my thoughts would go."
I said I didn't know whether to give my response to that so close to the end. I said I'm not trying to entrap him. I said it reminds me of when he said he worried I could one day be sat with another T talking about him the way I talk about T1. T said he knows I'm not and he wouldn't have agreed to hug me if he thought that.
A minute passed and he said "did you believe me when I said that?" I said "on one level, yes." I said "I'm also scared you think I am going to make a complaint about you." He said he's not. I looked at the clock which was a couple of minutes over and said "we should stop".
I paid then I said "can I have a hug please?" He said yes and he hugged me tight. He kept trying to make eye contact as we left. He said Take care. There were some people, presumably friends arriving on his doorstep as I left.
Echos Myron redux is offline  

advertisement
Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 AM #982
CantExplain's Avatar
CantExplain CantExplain is online now
Big Poppa
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 19,085
CantExplain CantExplain is online now
Big Poppa
CantExplain's Avatar
CantExplain is back to his normal grumpy self
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 19,085 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
18.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

Good work Echos!
__________________
Mr Ambassador, alias Ancient Plax, alias Captain Therapy, alias Big Poppa, alias Secret Spy, etc.

Have you tried strapping a potato to it?
CantExplain is online now  
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 AM #983
Lemoncake's Avatar
Lemoncake Lemoncake is online now
Luna's offical mini me.
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Cafe Nervosa.
Posts: 5,167
Lemoncake Lemoncake is online now
Luna's offical mini me.
Lemoncake's Avatar
Lemoncake is a lemon.
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Cafe Nervosa.
Posts: 5,167 (SuperPoster!)

2 yr Member
4,635 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantExplain View Post
Good work Echos!





8 characters.
Lemoncake is online now  
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 PM #984
SalingerEsme's Avatar
SalingerEsme SalingerEsme is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Neverland
Posts: 1,547
SalingerEsme SalingerEsme is offline
Grand Poohbah
SalingerEsme's Avatar
SalingerEsme has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Neverland
Posts: 1,547 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
3,811 hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echos Myron redux View Post
I told him that last session hadn't come away with the assurance I wanted that he doesn't see me as a threat to his family. He said he consciously doesn't. I said I want to know that all of him doesn't. And he said there have been enough of these instances that something is going on for him and he doesn't know what it is.
I said it hurts that he can't give me that assurance. He said it troubles him that he can't.

About 10 minutes from the end I raised what he had said last week about me not asking for hugs, just going ahead and hugging him. I said I had noticed it too. He said it felt different from before, because before I had felt like he had initiated (he said he didn't feel like he had) but that now I don't seem to be experiencing it thst way.
My vision went weird. I stop I myself out of it. He asked what had happened and I told him. He said follow the thought you shook your self out of. What would you say?
I thought and said "I would want to say that I want you to initiate hugs".
Can't remember what was said immediately after that but shortly after he said "the thought I have is that I worry that if I initiated hugs you could experience that as abusive.
I said "I'm not actually saying you should initiate hugs. I said that because you asked me where my thoughts would go."
I said I didn't know whether to give my response to that so close to the end. I said I'm not trying to entrap him. I said it reminds me of when he said he worried I could one day be sat with another T talking about him the way I talk about T1. T said he knows I'm not and he wouldn't have agreed to hug me if he thought that.
A minute passed and he said "did you believe me when I said that?" I said "on one level, yes." I said "I'm also scared you think I am going to make a complaint about you." He said he's not. I looked at the clock which was a couple of minutes over and said "we should stop".
I paid then I said "can I have a hug please?" He said yes and he hugged me tight. He kept trying to make eye contact as we left. He said Take care. There were some people, presumably friends arriving on his doorstep as I left.
Reading this, I felt a visceral sense of anxiety for some reason. I don't usually, and follow your T posts with interests. I got worried if he is struggling with some real feelings for you? Things seem reversed- like you stopping the session and he is seeking eye contact? I love how honest he is and accountable- like saying it bothers him too that consciously he doesn't see you in opposition to his family but he is scrutinizing the incidents. I don't believe my T would share at that level, and I think it is great yours does.
__________________
Living things donít all require/ light in the same degree. Louise Gluck
SalingerEsme is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-15-2018, 02:18 PM #985
Echos Myron redux Echos Myron redux is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,805
Echos Myron redux Echos Myron redux is offline
Grand Poohbah
Echos Myron redux is tired
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,805 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
1,615 hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerEsme View Post
Reading this, I felt a visceral sense of anxiety for some reason. I don't usually, and follow your T posts with interests. I got worried if he is struggling with some real feelings for you? Things seem reversed- like you stopping the session and he is seeking eye contact? I love how honest he is and accountable- like saying it bothers him too that consciously he doesn't see you in opposition to his family but he is scrutinizing the incidents. I don't believe my T would share at that level, and I think it is great yours does.
I appreciate those thoughts Esme. I think you are probably picking up on my anxiety actually. I felt very unsettled by the lack of resolution to the session. I usually have a crap week when I don't have a rounded session and that's proving true already.

As for the stopping the sessions - we talked about that today actually. I have ended every session for the last 3.5 years. He said today thst I'm very careful about the boundaries and we talked about how I do seem to feel responsible for everyone's boundaries in every aspect of my life. It makes me quite a naggy parent sometimes and I also slip into it sometimes on PC come to think of it, calling out 'unsupportive' posts when it's not my place to do so. I think it stems from my mother's inability to hold safe boundaries. So it's something I do for my own safety. Going over a couple minutes is very unusual for me though. As for the eye contact, I think he was anxious about the ending. He knows how hard it is for me when the session is unresolved.
Echos Myron redux is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 07:18 PM #986
Anastasia~'s Avatar
Anastasia~ Anastasia~ is online now
Grand Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 998
Anastasia~ Anastasia~ is online now
Grand Member
Anastasia~'s Avatar
Anastasia~ has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 998

1 yr Member
5,137 hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

We started off by T saying how long I had seen him for therapy, he said about five. I told him that it was actually almost 6 years in September. Of course, now I am worried about he was hinting that he wanted to get rid of me. I hate my brain. If I text him, and I probably will he is going to tell me that no, he wasn't hinting. T is going away on a cruise in September, so I asked him if I needed a fill-in T while he was gone. He told me that I could email him. He so kind and generous. So, now the problem of me worrying if I can contact him or not is solved, I now am worried about what I am allowed to write. I guess I need to talk to him about this. Really, the last thing I want is to bother him on vacation. But I trust him to not overextend himself and then get angry with me.

T told me that last week I talked about how I was worried about how I might say something to make him leave (or terminate, I guess). I went through a very intense time in the past month. Sometimes I feel like I am tempting fate, and that issue is an example. I wonder if a part of me is trying to push T away, but it is only a guess. I am SOOOO confused and at this time I want to keep any chance of abandonment far, far away from me. I think I am building an inner barricade. T went through his schedule book and booked me for extra days until he leaves on his adventure. I feel afraid and a bit confused sometimes. So, I think it was a good session.
Anastasia~ is online now  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 PM #987
emeraldheart emeraldheart is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 112
emeraldheart emeraldheart is offline
Member
emeraldheart has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 112

1 yr Member
50 hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

T today. Intense as always.

Me: I hate you

T: How come?

Me: You unearthed all of these deep wounds and long buried memories and I donít know what to do with them.

T: Youíre right. Iíve unlocked the box. Iíve arrogantly asked you to trust me and then I leave you alone for the rest of the week. Itís like Iím working against you.

Me: So why are you?

T: I donít mean to. Iím here to support you. Part of that support is leading us to very uncomfortable territories. Unfortunately, doing that also means that these heavy emotions will linger. They will seep into other parts of your life. Iím sorry.

Me: Iím just not sure how to handle these things

T: You donít have to do it alone. We can figure out a way where you feel supported even when you are not in this room.

Me: I wouldnít want to be a bother

T: Em, during our very first session, I agreed to help you through this. I bear part of the responsibility for your safety, progress and healing. We ask a lot from each other. I ask you to be vulnerable every week, and you ask me to help you through that. I intend to keep my end of the deal. Will you?

Me: I can try.

T: Thatís all I ask.

Me: I still hate you

T: Thatís fair.
emeraldheart is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-15-2018, 08:20 PM #988
CantExplain's Avatar
CantExplain CantExplain is online now
Big Poppa
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 19,085
CantExplain CantExplain is online now
Big Poppa
CantExplain's Avatar
CantExplain is back to his normal grumpy self
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 19,085 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
18.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

I like your T, Em.
You can still hate him, though.
__________________
Mr Ambassador, alias Ancient Plax, alias Captain Therapy, alias Big Poppa, alias Secret Spy, etc.

Have you tried strapping a potato to it?
CantExplain is online now  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 PM #989
emeraldheart emeraldheart is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 112
emeraldheart emeraldheart is offline
Member
emeraldheart has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 112

1 yr Member
50 hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantExplain View Post
I like your T, Em.
You can still hate him, though.
Thanks! I do generally like him a lot. We work well together. But I really hate him right now! Iím just glad he doesnít get defensive (so far) when I call him out on things.
emeraldheart is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-16-2018, 11:26 AM #990
WarmFuzzySocks's Avatar
WarmFuzzySocks WarmFuzzySocks is offline
Poohbah
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: in my cozy reading chair
Posts: 1,424
WarmFuzzySocks WarmFuzzySocks is offline
Poohbah
WarmFuzzySocks's Avatar
WarmFuzzySocks is made of star stuff
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: in my cozy reading chair
Posts: 1,424

1 yr Member
10.7k hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part IV

My most recent session was pretty packed because it had been several weeks.

I started by talking about being so raw talking about my dream in the last session that I'd wanted to curl up in a ball on the floor and cry. But I'd just started talking about something else instead. She told me that if that happened, she would just sit with me and be a witness. And I know that, I told her I know that because she's done that with me, and I even understand it from the other side because I have had the opportunity to sit with grieving weeping people and been the witness. But I just couldn't let myself go, I don't know why.

We talked about the dream, and the deep grief it brought up, and from that the conversation wound around to the future. That if...when...I do form a new relationship, I will choose wisely, and that it will be balanced because (she said) I am good in relationship. She told me she believes that I am a person who is meant to be in relationship with another person, that it is a part of who I am. My gut felt this coming from a place of seeing clearly (rather than a place of "think positive!"-shudder) and I think she sees a piece of me that feels damaged but has potential to be healing.

We talked about the practical and emotional pieces of me being on the fence about continuing to live separated from my kids' dad but in the same home. The feeling of being at a crossroads. The goal of stability has been met, but I have been so focused on that piece that I am suddenly at a loss for what's next.

A little about living an unconventional choice, and that more families are choosing to live unconventionally. Lots of questions to bring out, not necessarily to answer but acknowledge: Does this continue to be functional? How do I live joyfully and completely? We touched on...hard to articulate this one succinctly, I think the question for me is...where is the balance between healing in place and being faced with the shadows daily?

Trusting my inner voice. If I don't quite know what to do right now, maybe it's not time to decide. That I will know when it is time. We talked about patience and anxiety and control.

As we were wrapping up, I don't know what I said that she was responding to, she said, "You don't want to rock the boat." And it was just a descriptive comment, but it hit me in such a tender spot, one of those "Ooh" recognition spots, and I teared up. I joked, "Shuddup," but then I said, "I don't. I don't want it to rock. I am so tired. I just want to rest."

At the end, I said, "I wonder sometimes why I still come here," but that I think it's because I don't have to put on my cheery can-do, it'll all work out face. I can say I don't know what to do and be uncertain and cry about it. She said, "You'll know when it's time to stop coming to therapy too. You'll just know it. And we'll be done, and we'll never see each other again." I nodded, and then we ended.
__________________
Since you cannot do good to all, you are to pay special attention to those who, by accidents of time, or place, or circumstance, are brought into closer connection with you. (St. Augustine)
WarmFuzzySocks is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.