Being brave about therapist exploitation - Page 12 - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM #111
Anonymous55498
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Anonymous55498
Guest
Anonymous55498 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididitmyway View Post
Oh, God... here we go again..

I am not going to repost the same response to the same ****. And, if you are a survivor who gets triggered by all this, I suggest you do the same. Some people will never get it. Don't waste your energy on them. Let that **** go.
Said the Boss, Ms. KnowItAll. No need to respond, btw, I've just requested that my account is closed, so there won't be dismissive, non-understanding posts from me in the future.

I wish you all well in your dwelling in the same old-same old and trying to bully people who can indeed move on!
 
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM #112
blackocean blackocean is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 198
blackocean blackocean is offline
Member
blackocean has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 198

21 hugs
given
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

ETA: this is in response to SarahSweets who I forgot to quote:

Do you understand PTSD? Do you have it? I don't want to assume but I feel like there is just a fundamental misunderstanding here.

Topiary said "I have fears about the safety too- but realized I am feeling past the point that someone’s failure to understand could retraumatize - I think!" I am personally not past that point as I have only recently admitted I have been traumatized, as indicated by my recent join date compared to others here. Others' "failure to understand" is retraumatizing for me. Hence I do not want to put my stories or even my current issues with my therapist up for public debate on a forum. How can you not understand how people coldly, intellectually debating the issues "around" your personal trauma is not potentially damaging, if not always so?

Some of the “hedging” replies here talking about being adults, consent, “capacity” to see abuse is happening and capacity to stop it (etc) agitated/aggravated my PTSD symptoms surrounding my adult sexual abuse, and my PTSD is new to me so I have not learned to properly control it. This is unsafe because triggers can compound and then I lose a day or two to panic attacks and re-experiencing if it is bad enough. Some time ago when I first started trauma therapy I was severely triggered into an episode and lost maybe 2 months of my life in a complete meltdown.

This is what I mean by I don’t feel safe. It’s not about hurt feelings or "different of opinion" as if we are discussing something like tax brackets or who is going to win the Superbowl. We are talking about traumas and I have a trauma disorder that means I am unstable, especially unstable because I am currently processing trauma in therapy, and if I am reminded of the shame and self-blame I feel for letting this sexual abuse and exploitation happen to me as an adult with the ability to consent, who consented to abuse again and again, then I really start to panic and feel like dying because I think, This wouldn't happen to everyone, just you, you're weak, you're stupid, others who were stronger and smarter than you could have handled this or escaped this, but not you. It's not really rational but that's what happens. Here are some of the comments that made me feel this way:

"I think "being lured into..." already implies that it was something negative and the person did not have the capacity to realistically assess the costs and benefits. ... I did not dismiss that many people do not have that capacity (although I don't personally like to emphasize that very much as it sounds a bit degrading) or meant to suggest that the experience and truth of many people who suffered due to the structure of therapy and T exploitation is not very real. I also did not say that I do not understand - I think this is pretty easy to understand even without first hand experience and vulnerability. I only posted to say that it does not apply to every single person/client..."

"What one may see as manipulating another may not...if both are adults and consent to going forward."

"I also think people get traumatized by different things and also react differently what is indeed traumatic to them."

"Then again i also don't think therapy equals power imbalance. So that's fine and understandable that some see it that way or feel it but I know I'm not alone in this. It truly does come down to each person ... Everyone will experience things differently."

"I never said anything about supporting therapist client sex, unless its was years after therapy and it was consentual.

I have found plenty of research as well that says there is no imbalance and clients have more power than they often think. I have heard of therapists who say that too. It's just how you view it.

Yes, its awful what happened to you and anyone else who was traumatized or abused but it doesnt mean it happens to everyone. It doesn't mean there is always that imbalance. Every case is different. It CAN exist for some, but it doesn't always exist.

It also isn't a fantasy, the reality is, it's two humans. Some see one are more powerful, others see them more as an equal. I don't think therapists are powerful, authority figures or anything, just average people who went to school for something in this industry. Ya they have ethics and standards... but the client is also their employer basically, the client can fire them... the client can say no to things they don't wanna talk about, they client can report them if need be, the client can write crap reviews about them...... there is a lot of power clients have to, to me it's equal. not an imbalance but its ok for others to see it differently"

"An individual expressing a personal opinion, no matter what the interest she has in the subject matter, does not invalidate anyone's experience or change the truth as anyone sees fit to see it. This just seems like disagreement to me, and anyone who insists that someone else must change their mind to conform to what you believe is just a dominance and power move in and of itself. If people choose to run away from a thread or shut down because someone disagrees with them (as opposed to putting the individual on ignore and choosing not to read), that's on them. Trying to shame and guilt-trip people into changing their mind is just another form of emotional manipulation."

"I don't see ideas and opinions as dangerous or harmful to people, particularly when they are expressed about the person's own experience and not a generality or a commentary about someone else's, regardless of the content. I'm just not interested in catering to demands from superior-believing other people on a public board who insist that there is only one "right" way. I've seen no evidence that any particular individuals have greater insight into someone else's pain or are otherwise more enlightened in the human condition than others. "

"No one is saying those trite victim-blaming statements you claim here and I refuse to accept any responsibility for your projections or difficulty with reading comprehension or both. If it's harmful to you to read certain comments, the ignore button is available to you."



I even said "unintentionally invalidate" to avoid saying someone was intentionally hurting someone. apparently that is not enough here. You must agree that words never invalidate, ever, because opinions are all just opinions. And debating the circumstances that led to someone's trauma and whether that trauma would happen to them or any random person--and whether that means that these relationships are okay for some--all this is triggering for some people who have been sexually exploited in imbalanced power relationships, and of course there will always be triggers in the sense that FLASHBACKS are brought on by sensory details no one can control, but there are also some things that are not hard to predict will be triggering of trauma disorders.

No i don't want to talk about my rapes here. Jesus christ this place is a mess.
blackocean is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:48 PM #113
blackocean blackocean is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 198
blackocean blackocean is offline
Member
blackocean has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 198

21 hugs
given
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia View Post
Said the Boss, Ms. KnowItAll. No need to respond, btw, I've just requested that my account is closed, so there won't be dismissive, non-understanding posts from me in the future.

I wish you all well in your dwelling in the same old-same old and trying to bully people who can indeed move on!
you seem like a reasonable person, I am surprised you would say this. I haven’t moved on from my own (not therapist) abuse because it was years long and I just started even thinking about it. Moving on is very hard when experiences are entangled in the fibers of your being.
blackocean is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:48 PM #114
missbella missbella is offline
Grand Poohbah
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 1,803
missbella missbella is offline
Grand Poohbah
missbella has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 1,803

8 yr Member
779 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia View Post
Said the Boss, Ms. KnowItAll. No need to respond, btw, I've just requested that my account is closed, so there won't be dismissive, non-understanding posts from me in the future.

I wish you all well in your dwelling in the same old-same old and trying to bully people who can indeed move on!
Now isn’t this interesting. I don’t read idimw posts as bossy or bullying in the slightest. I read them as an attempt to create understanding here about the apt time and space for disagreement and debate. I don’t think a thread about a poster’s painful struggle is. Yet the insensitivity continues, even telling posters to open their threads with instructions and caveats what is allowed. (I could do a ridiculous treatment of that one.) Are people so therapy-coached in “speaking their minds” these days they have no awareness of anyone else’s struggle?
missbella is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 PM #115
Ididitmyway's Avatar
Ididitmyway Ididitmyway is offline
Magnate
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,071
Ididitmyway Ididitmyway is offline
Magnate
Ididitmyway's Avatar
Ididitmyway has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,071

5 yr Member
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

I couldn't even imagine I had so much power here that somebody decides to close their account because of me.. Wow.

And what a surprise that this is a person who has always presented herself as super reasonable, objective, intellectually sophisticated, independently thinking, emotionally invulnerable, someone who never lets her emotions get the best of her, who always keeps her cool, never gets abused by anyone because she is too powerful and independent for that to happen and who has never given anyone the power to influence her decisions..

And now she allows some other user on the forum, who objectively doesn't have any more power then she does, to "bully" her into closing her account???

Wow..

Well, I wish her well in her moving on, if she is really serious about it and doesn't come back here to the same "dwelling" later under a different name or something
__________________
www.therapyconsumerguide.com

Bernie Sanders/Tulsi Gabbard 2020
Ididitmyway is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2019, 02:54 PM #116
here today here today is online now
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: SE USA
Posts: 3,008
here today here today is online now
Grand Magnate
here today has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: SE USA
Posts: 3,008

5 yr Member
1,070 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post


Are you seriously saying that because of this one thread and a few people you do not feel safe to post about what is important to you? I think I am missing something... are dissenting opinions indictative of lack of support? I think here, like anywhere you are bound to run into perspectives that do not align with your own. I do not look at differences of opinions = unsafe. if that were the way the world operates then no one is safe. I see people here who might want to brush up on their warm and fuzzy bits but I did not get the impression that it demonstrates a lack of support. I feel like sometimes victims (myself included) are so desperate for that connection to other people who have dealt with the same thing or people that feel the same, that we often immediately get ruffled the minute we feel invalidated. I do not believe anyone on this thread and an intention to invalidate anyone. I think its important to give equal weight to those that have opinions like mine and those that don't Some of the most important lessons I have learned have been from people that I thought were misunderstanding me or mean. Very often the written word is confusing that way. I do not think a thread should exclude dissenting opinions or stories. I feel like if a thread is started and the only thing that the OP or other like-minded people want is unconditional, unwavering, unquestioning support that it should either be made clear from the very first OP or maybe a group should be started. I would say I fall somewhere in the middle of both viewpoints on this thread.
I don't feel that way myself, but I've seen on here that, yes, there are people who really feel that way. It's different from the way I am, mostly, but if that's where they're at, that's where they're at.

I personally like to read different viewpoints but it's becoming clear to me that people insisting on their own viewpoint only, doesn't get us much of anywhere. Which is sad, because TopiarySurvivor introduced an important topic, that keeps getting sidetracked.

To me, part of healing is learning to tolerate different opinions. Some people are just too hurt, maybe, to do that? -- if that's the case then that's the case.

But I really hate to see important discussions like TopiarySurvivor started out with derailed like this.

Call me a self-righteous idealist, or something else, I can take it.
here today is online now  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:00 PM #117
DP_2017's Avatar
DP_2017 DP_2017 is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: A house
Posts: 4,326
DP_2017 DP_2017 is offline
Grand Magnate
DP_2017's Avatar
DP_2017 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: A house
Posts: 4,326 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
662 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididitmyway View Post
I couldn't even imagine I had so much power here that somebody decides to close their account because of me.. Wow.

And what a surprise that this is a person who has always presented herself as super reasonable, objective, intellectually sophisticated, independently thinking, emotionally invulnerable, someone who never lets her emotions get the best of her, who always keeps her cool, never gets abused by anyone because she is too powerful and independent for that to happen and who has never given anyone the power to influence her decisions..

And now she allows some other user on the forum, who objectively doesn't have any more power then she does, to "bully" her into closing her account???

Wow..

Well, I wish her well in her moving on, if she is really serious about it and doesn't come back here to the same "dwelling" later under a different name or something
Kinda arrogant to assume you are the reason, there would be many reasons for one to close their account. I know I've been debating it and it's not for any one person. Also everyone has power, that was something she has said before. She had the power to make that choice in her life.... you don't know if you had POWER in that choice at all... you are just assuming. It's sad that some people really want support for their bad experiences and people like you represent them, you come off quite rude. I wouldn't bother listening to you at all in person.

That being said.... IF you are really all about supporting fellow survivors, maybe you can knock off the drama and go back to showing support to OP. I've apologized to them for my part in going off topic, have you? Maybe something to consider, you are not innocent

OP...I am really sorry for your bad experience and that this thread got so derailed, it was never my intention to harm you or anyone here or make you feel bad, I just merely wanted to express my view on things, as I feel a forum is a place you can do that. I wish you all the best in your healing journey
__________________
Grief is the price you pay for love.
DP_2017 is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:12 PM #118
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Magnate
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,083
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Magnate
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,083 (SuperPoster!)

107 hugs
given
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackocean View Post
ETA: this is in response to SarahSweets who I forgot to quote:

Do you understand PTSD? Do you have it? I don't want to assume but I feel like there is just a fundamental misunderstanding here.
Yes I HAVE ptsd. There is no one way of dealing with it. I didn't think I had to label myself as such in order to have an opinion that is worthy. I do not feel unsafe here. I see different opinions and experiences here and I do not necessarily agree- but I feel they are allowed to be voiced. In fact- if you feel like I need to prove I am ptsd-y enough to participate in this thread I, for the very first time EVER- shared about an assault by a doctor in one of the therapy/exploitation threads. I do not know what came over me but I felt like I could get it out into the open. I have been with my husband 25 years and not even HE knows about it. I have never brought it up. Not everyone with PTSD feels it the way you do. Not everyone is triggered the way you are. While I think there are more sensitive, less dismissive ways to say things here, I still choose to participate. If I was that triggered I wouldn't. I got into it with a specific member here who is very unstable and mean and it floored me. But then I realized its an internet forum and some are sicker than others. So I do not post in that person's threads and avoid all interaction with them. They definitely make me feel unsafe.

Quote:
Others' "failure to understand" is retraumatizing for me. Hence I do not want to put my stories or even my current issues with my therapist up for public debate on a forum. How can you not understand how people coldly, intellectually debating the issues "around" your personal trauma is not potentially damaging, if not always so?
I can see how it would hurt your feelings but I personally wouldnt call it damaging or give that much power to people on an internet forum.

Quote:
Some of the “hedging” replies here talking about being adults, consent, “capacity” to see abuse is happening and capacity to stop it (etc) agitated/aggravated my PTSD symptoms surrounding my adult sexual abuse, and my PTSD is new to me so I have not learned to properly control it. This is unsafe because triggers can compound and then I lose a day or two to panic attacks and re-experiencing if it is bad enough. Some time ago when I first started trauma therapy I was severely triggered into an episode and lost maybe 2 months of my life in a complete meltdown.
I do not share the opinion of what you mentioned above.
Quote:
I even said "unintentionally invalidate" to avoid saying someone was intentionally hurting someone. apparently that is not enough here. You must agree that words never invalidate, ever, because opinions are all just opinions. And debating the circumstances that led to someone's trauma and whether that trauma would happen to them or any random person--and whether that means that these relationships are okay for some--all this is triggering for some people who have been sexually exploited in imbalanced power relationships, and of course there will always be triggers in the sense that FLASHBACKS are brought on by sensory details no one can control, but there are also some things that are not hard to predict will be triggering of trauma disorders.

No i don't want to talk about my rapes here. Jesus christ this place is a mess.
No one said you have to talk about anything. I was just wondering why it felt unsafe.
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is online now  
Old 02-15-2019, 03:29 PM #119
blackocean blackocean is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 198
blackocean blackocean is offline
Member
blackocean has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 198

21 hugs
given
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Yes I HAVE ptsd. There is no one way of dealing with it. I didn't think I had to label myself as such in order to have an opinion that is worthy. I do not feel unsafe here. I see different opinions and experiences here and I do not necessarily agree- but I feel they are allowed to be voiced. In fact- if you feel like I need to prove I am ptsd-y enough to participate in this thread I, for the very first time EVER- shared about an assault by a doctor in one of the therapy/exploitation threads. I do not know what came over me but I felt like I could get it out into the open. I have been with my husband 25 years and not even HE knows about it. I have never brought it up. Not everyone with PTSD feels it the way you do. Not everyone is triggered the way you are. While I think there are more sensitive, less dismissive ways to say things here, I still choose to participate. If I was that triggered I wouldn't. I got into it with a specific member here who is very unstable and mean and it floored me. But then I realized its an internet forum and some are sicker than others. So I do not post in that person's threads and avoid all interaction with them. They definitely make me feel unsafe.

I can see how it would hurt your feelings but I personally wouldnt call it damaging or give that much power to people on an internet forum.

I do not share the opinion of what you mentioned above.

No one said you have to talk about anything. I was just wondering why it felt unsafe.

“If I was that triggered I wouldnt”—exactly, this is what I am saying. You asked me why I would feel unsafe with “different opinions” being offered about my traumatic experience and here I am saying that in this case the opinions triggered me and I would not want to open my own post up to this because I don’t feel safe being that vulnerable in a place where “anything goes and toughen up buttercup” at the moment. I used the word “triggered” and you ask “why do you feel unsafe? Cant you handle different opinions?” when clearly you know what a trigger is and what makes triggers unsafe...., I said similar debate ensuing around my trauma would trigger me so i would not share here, so why are you bothering me about this and lecturing me on the importance of hearing other opinions if you know what being triggered is like?

I’m sorry about the doctor also, that’s horrible.
blackocean is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:30 PM #120
FooZe's Avatar
FooZe FooZe is online now
Administrator
Community Support Team
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 20,525
FooZe FooZe is online now
Administrator
Community Support Team
FooZe's Avatar
FooZe is off to the mountains for a few days.
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 20,525 (SuperPoster!)

10 yr Member
4,599 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

This thread is being closed for administrative review.
FooZe is online now  
"Thanks for this!" says:
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.