Attention seeker needs attention! - Page 2 - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM #11
seesaw's Avatar
seesaw seesaw is offline
Human
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Home
Posts: 6,359
seesaw seesaw is offline
Human
seesaw's Avatar
seesaw grieving
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Home
Posts: 6,359 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
768 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Attention seeker needs attention!

Well, here's a suggestion...back when I was part of a dance company I would be fine for a long time, never get feedback or corrections, the director never had feedback for me, so I would almost get to the point of exploding because I wasn't getting any attention. At one point I did sort of burst from inattention. And we made a deal that a)he wasn't focusing on me because I was doing things right, so he didn't need to correct me and b) if I needed attention I just needed to tell him. So every so often I'd go to the director and say "I need attention. Give me feedback." And he'd tell me what I was doing well or where I could work further to improve, and I stopped being so needy attention wise.

So maybe, you can sort of schedule when you get your attention so you don't feel deprived? Like when you meet with your friend say "Hey, can I talk about me for a few minutes and then I'll shut up?" I've done that before and people are usually like okay sure, and then you get all your stuff out and get your attention and move on...everyone is happy.

Just something that worked for me, as someone who can be starved for attention.

Seesaw
__________________


What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-11-2018, 12:58 PM #12
Falo Falo is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34
Falo Falo is offline
Member
Falo has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34

1 yr Member
Default Re: Attention seeker needs attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
You said you have serious girlfriend?
When I answered that post, I had just had another very bad episode with my gf. I had told her that I was done.

She then called me and we are trying again.

Should I take that reply down?
Falo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM #13
Falo Falo is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34
Falo Falo is offline
Member
Falo has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34

1 yr Member
Default Re: Attention seeker needs attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Well, here's a suggestion...back when I was part of a dance company I would be fine for a long time, never get feedback or corrections, the director never had feedback for me, so I would almost get to the point of exploding because I wasn't getting any attention. At one point I did sort of burst from inattention. And we made a deal that a)he wasn't focusing on me because I was doing things right, so he didn't need to correct me and b) if I needed attention I just needed to tell him. So every so often I'd go to the director and say "I need attention. Give me feedback." And he'd tell me what I was doing well or where I could work further to improve, and I stopped being so needy attention wise.

So maybe, you can sort of schedule when you get your attention so you don't feel deprived? Like when you meet with your friend say "Hey, can I talk about me for a few minutes and then I'll shut up?" I've done that before and people are usually like okay sure, and then you get all your stuff out and get your attention and move on...everyone is happy.

Just something that worked for me, as someone who can be starved for attention.

Seesaw
Thank you. I will work on it.
Falo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:48 PM #14
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 divine1966 is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 13,563
divine1966 divine1966 is online now
Legendary
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 Tired!!!
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 13,563 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
489 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Attention seeker needs attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falo View Post
When I answered that post, I had just had another very bad episode with my gf. I had told her that I was done.

She then called me and we are trying again.

Should I take that reply down?
No I just wondered why you feel alone all while having a gf. Does she give you enough attention?
divine1966 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:54 PM #15
Falo Falo is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34
Falo Falo is offline
Member
Falo has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34

1 yr Member
Default Re: Attention seeker needs attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
No I just wondered why you feel alone all while having a gf. Does she give you enough attention?
Since we had broken up, I was alone. Now that we're trying again, things seem a little strained and awkward.
Falo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.