My nephew unfriended me on Facebook??? - Page 3 - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM #21
s4ndm4n2006's Avatar
s4ndm4n2006 s4ndm4n2006 is offline
Chat Moderator
Chat Leader
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: limbo
Posts: 1,991
s4ndm4n2006 s4ndm4n2006 is offline
Chat Moderator
Chat Leader
s4ndm4n2006's Avatar
s4ndm4n2006 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: limbo
Posts: 1,991

3 yr Member
180 hugs
given
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
TY, but this is family. Family members in my book do not unfriend each other unless they intend to disown them and never speak with them again OR if that family member did something SO outrageous that it calls for blocking and/or unfriending. I did not deserve this. And I saw him just last week and he acted as though nothing were wrong.


but you underscore my point about the importance of fb friendship. This is YOUR value and expectation, but not necessarily his. Also the obligatory stuff because you're family? Shoot I don't even have fb friendships with my family because you know what? (well when I had fb active) most of my personal **** is none of their business since our values differ and our lifestyles. Thing is, just because I was born to the same parents does not make us compatible people or automatic fb friends for that matter.


If you loosen your rules about this facebook friendship stuff you'll have quite a lot of stress removed from yourlife.
s4ndm4n2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM #22
justafriend306
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
justafriend306
Guest
justafriend306 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Facebook is a pretty impersonal way to make contact - especially for important occasions like a birthday. Telling him in person or by phone is a more appropriate way to do so anyway.

I would be uncomfortable being a Facebook friend with a young person - relative or no relative. It feels like such an invasion to me. I have seen things I would much rather not see and I have been the one to do the unfriending. Likewise, he may have been uncomfortable with you seeing his college/university lifestyle. Don't take this as a personal slight. It is probably a good thing you aren't connected on Facebook in the first place.

Finally, please don't take social media so seriously. I can't stress enough that it is not a replacement for direct communication. While Facebook is fun, and a nifty way of being in the loop, it should by no means be a primary source of maintaining contact. So, use the phone. Mail a greeting card. Wish that happy birthday in a way more personal.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-09-2018, 11:21 AM #23
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
3,765 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrysky View Post
Hey Eve, I think...you feel how you feel. I was just giving an alternate perspective. I think you are a compassionate person. Idk. For me, sometimes it help to not personalize. It's hard not to. I hope you get in touch with him!
TY.... an alternate perspective is good!
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM #24
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
3,765 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafriend306 View Post
Facebook is a pretty impersonal way to make contact - especially for important occasions like a birthday. Telling him in person or by phone is a more appropriate way to do so anyway.

I would be uncomfortable being a Facebook friend with a young person - relative or no relative. It feels like such an invasion to me. I have seen things I would much rather not see and I have been the one to do the unfriending. Likewise, he may have been uncomfortable with you seeing his college/university lifestyle. Don't take this as a personal slight. It is probably a good thing you aren't connected on Facebook in the first place.

Finally, please don't take social media so seriously. I can't stress enough that it is not a replacement for direct communication. While Facebook is fun, and a nifty way of being in the loop, it should by no means be a primary source of maintaining contact. So, use the phone. Mail a greeting card. Wish that happy birthday in a way more personal.
I typically have gone to my nephew's birthday parties. I attended his HS graduation party with my family. He is friends on FB with my sister's best friend even. I don't think it's impersonal at all, especially when accompanied by in person parties with gifts and cards given. this year, I couldn't attend his bday party because I have to unpack since I just moved. He knows why I couldn't make it to the party. It was a brief gathering and not a big deal that I didn't attend. I plan on sending him a card and a gift, but we have always said happy bday on facebook pages.
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:26 AM #25
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
3,765 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ndm4n2006 View Post
but you underscore my point about the importance of fb friendship. This is YOUR value and expectation, but not necessarily his. Also the obligatory stuff because you're family? Shoot I don't even have fb friendships with my family because you know what? (well when I had fb active) most of my personal **** is none of their business since our values differ and our lifestyles. Thing is, just because I was born to the same parents does not make us compatible people or automatic fb friends for that matter.


If you loosen your rules about this facebook friendship stuff you'll have quite a lot of stress removed from yourlife.
thanks, but politely I disagree. I AM hurt. Unfriending someone on FB is hurtful, especially when it's family. I am puzzled by it and cannot help how i feel. I feel slighted, like it's a big slap in the face. Clearly he doesn't want me messaging him on there.
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM #26
Anonymous50909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Anonymous50909
Guest
Anonymous50909 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

My brother blocked me on Facebook. I have no idea why and I just assume it comes down to self care. That's why I unfriend people. If you are upset don't waste time speculating, just ask him. It may not even be what you think it is.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-09-2018, 12:32 PM #27
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
3,765 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadGirl View Post
My brother blocked me on Facebook. I have no idea why and I just assume it comes down to self care. That's why I unfriend people. If you are upset don't waste time speculating, just ask him. It may not even be what you think it is.
Awwww, that is awful. I am sorry to hear it. Maybe I WILL ask him. I am not sure. I'll think on it. HUGS.
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-09-2018, 01:43 PM #28
healingme4me's Avatar
healingme4me healingme4me is online now
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 46,132
healingme4me healingme4me is online now
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison
healingme4me's Avatar
healingme4me Needs a little reading lamp.
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 46,132 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
6,552 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

I like the idea of asking what's up with the unfriending.

So What if you told him to live it up? Can he not just politely say thanks, then add but that's not his lifestyle? It was wishing him well.
healingme4me is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-09-2018, 02:22 PM #29
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 divine1966 is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 13,564
divine1966 divine1966 is online now
Legendary
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 Tired!!!
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 13,564 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
489 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Unfriending sounds upsetting. But I really donít understand needing to wish happy birthday on Facebook. You can call or text or email or visit or take him out. I donít understand why happy birthday must be on Facebook? Are you upset that others would notice you didnít wish him happy birthday or upset you cannot wish it (which is easy to fix outside of Facebook). I just donít grasp the Facebook issue. Now if he refuses to talk to you in real life, then itís truly is upsetting.
divine1966 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:14 PM #30
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520
golden_eve golden_eve is online now
Elder
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 5,520 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
3,765 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My nephew unfriended me on Facebook???

Quote:
Originally Posted by healingme4me View Post
I like the idea of asking what's up with the unfriending.

So What if you told him to live it up? Can he not just politely say thanks, then add but that's not his lifestyle? It was wishing him well.
AGREED. TY!
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.