advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
DechanDawa
Grand Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa upleveling
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
913 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Self-care. What do you do?

I have had a lot of stress lately and notice my self-care has decreased. What do you do to apply self-care?

I pride myself on being physically pretty healthy...then a month or so ago I got a cold or flu...or something terrible going around...was really sick for a whole weekend...then ended up with severe bronchitis which I cannot shake.

The bronchitis has caused me to not keep up with housework and the like and everything is a mess. I live alone. My frig is often empty of food because I don't have the energy to shop. On top of it I am going on a long trip next week and feel like crap. I feel like I will need to request a wheelchair at the airport I am so weak!! Just getting to the airport will be an ordeal...two early morning bus rides including a shuttle.


So. Self-care. For me it is...coming on here and venting! I try to eat well and am vegetarian. Always have a good book on hand for distraction.

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, or eat junk food. Does a veggie sandwich at Subway count as junk food? When stressed I do tend to over-eat. If one can overeat salads and cottage cheese. My one real weakness is pasta. It's my comfort food.


My sleep is disturbed because of coughing, coughing, coughing. Last night I had some honey before going to bed and it helped.

I live alone and am socially isolated (pretty much) and get anxious and I will admit I call my local Crisis Hotline to check in. Sometimes I get someone really good...other times it is just not helpful. I called last night because I felt really anxious...but the call wasn't helpful.

Hot baths. Yoga. Journaling. Freelance writing. Walks. The library. It's not enough. Any suggestions? Yes...I am asking for suggestions. (And yes, am drinking a lot of hot tea for the coughing fits.)
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
WishfulThinker66
Magnate
 
WishfulThinker66's Avatar
WishfulThinker66 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,260 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
150 hugs
given
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

Wow I wish I was as active as you. You are an inspiration.

I try to make sure I am washed up each morning before my day starts. If I wait too long it just doesn't happen all day and I am then afraid to leave the house.

I try to make art each day.

We have no yard so I walk the dog on average 6 times daily.

I try to eat healthy and find creativity in cooking.

I do logic puzzles to try and keep my mind sharp.

Yeah not a lot, but these things are healthy distractions too.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,836 (SuperPoster!)
132 hugs
given
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

One thing I did a few years back was always get dressed to the shoes. If I stay in the comfy clothes and slippers its very hard not to binge watch or be productive. My morning routine is self care. People wake up in my house at different times. Husband at 515, daughter at 6, when the other two were home they would be up at 530 as well. Due to sleep issues I instituted sleep training for myself which involves waking up at the same time everyday. So I chose 4 am and I love it. I can leisurely fool around on PC and my other forum and have my coffee (god bless programmable coffee pots!), read the news, check my apps and no one is asking for something. My husband and I tend to have our most meaningful and necessary convos in the morning and sometimes when the subject is uncomfortable-like about financial stuff- he just jumps in with the conversation and I feel like I didnt see it coming. I love our talks but I need my time to be ready. And If you wake up during my me time-watch out, I hate that. I also take frequent breaks whenever I am doing tasks like I hate. It makes it easier to do things in smaller chunks. What I most recently did was get a massage and join their monthly massage program. The Hand and stone is around the corner from me and financially it was a deal to join and have that hour of bliss, rather than coming in here and there and paying the full rate. I have never done something so extravagant or luxurious before. But I felt so good after the one I had a few weeks ago that I see it as the same price as a therapy session and I got a hell of a lot more out of the hour I spent.
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
DechanDawa
Grand Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa upleveling
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
913 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
Wow I wish I was as active as you. You are an inspiration.

I try to make sure I am washed up each morning before my day starts. If I wait too long it just doesn't happen all day and I am then afraid to leave the house.

I try to make art each day.

We have no yard so I walk the dog on average 6 times daily.

I try to eat healthy and find creativity in cooking.

I do logic puzzles to try and keep my mind sharp.

Yeah not a lot, but these things are healthy distractions too.




"I try to make art each day."

Okay. I love that one to bits. It is so important. I have not thought of it as self-care but I am going to incorporate it. Thank you! Great suggestions.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
DechanDawa
Grand Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa upleveling
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,112 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
913 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
One thing I did a few years back was always get dressed to the shoes. If I stay in the comfy clothes and slippers its very hard not to binge watch or be productive. My morning routine is self care. People wake up in my house at different times. Husband at 515, daughter at 6, when the other two were home they would be up at 530 as well. Due to sleep issues I instituted sleep training for myself which involves waking up at the same time everyday. So I chose 4 am and I love it. I can leisurely fool around on PC and my other forum and have my coffee (god bless programmable coffee pots!), read the news, check my apps and no one is asking for something. My husband and I tend to have our most meaningful and necessary convos in the morning and sometimes when the subject is uncomfortable-like about financial stuff- he just jumps in with the conversation and I feel like I didnt see it coming. I love our talks but I need my time to be ready. And If you wake up during my me time-watch out, I hate that. I also take frequent breaks whenever I am doing tasks like I hate. It makes it easier to do things in smaller chunks. What I most recently did was get a massage and join their monthly massage program. The Hand and stone is around the corner from me and financially it was a deal to join and have that hour of bliss, rather than coming in here and there and paying the full rate. I have never done something so extravagant or luxurious before. But I felt so good after the one I had a few weeks ago that I see it as the same price as a therapy session and I got a hell of a lot more out of the hour I spent.





Yeah, I think it is easier with family around.

Maybe it takes special dedication when living alone. I was doing okay but then with a lot of stress and getting sick...I just can't keep up.

Still, I think a routine would help. I also like "getting dressed to shoes." Haha. It's really true. I use the shoes trick. Sometimes they are the first things I put on...just because, yes, slippers say...comfy...cozy...I might as well stay in my robe as well. Right now I am in my robe and cowgirl boots!
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
Buffy01
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,887 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
4,053 hugs
given
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
I have had a lot of stress lately and notice my self-care has decreased. What do you do to apply self-care?

I pride myself on being physically pretty healthy...then a month or so ago I got a cold or flu...or something terrible going around...was really sick for a whole weekend...then ended up with severe bronchitis which I cannot shake.

The bronchitis has caused me to not keep up with housework and the like and everything is a mess. I live alone. My frig is often empty of food because I don't have the energy to shop. On top of it I am going on a long trip next week and feel like crap. I feel like I will need to request a wheelchair at the airport I am so weak!! Just getting to the airport will be an ordeal...two early morning bus rides including a shuttle.


So. Self-care. For me it is...coming on here and venting! I try to eat well and am vegetarian. Always have a good book on hand for distraction.

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, or eat junk food. Does a veggie sandwich at Subway count as junk food? When stressed I do tend to over-eat. If one can overeat salads and cottage cheese. My one real weakness is pasta. It's my comfort food.


My sleep is disturbed because of coughing, coughing, coughing. Last night I had some honey before going to bed and it helped.

I live alone and am socially isolated (pretty much) and get anxious and I will admit I call my local Crisis Hotline to check in. Sometimes I get someone really good...other times it is just not helpful. I called last night because I felt really anxious...but the call wasn't helpful.

Hot baths. Yoga. Journaling. Freelance writing. Walks. The library. It's not enough. Any suggestions? Yes...I am asking for suggestions. (And yes, am drinking a lot of hot tea for the coughing fits.)
Wow! I wish that I had that much energy to do just that! Have you gone to the doctor for your illness? what about trying cough relief binaural best sound, bronchitis asthma treatment king repair binaural mediation. I had some bad experience with crisis center myself!
Buffy01 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
Buffy01
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,887 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
4,053 hugs
given
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
Wow I wish I was as active as you. You are an inspiration.

I try to make sure I am washed up each morning before my day starts. If I wait too long it just doesn't happen all day and I am then afraid to leave the house.

I try to make art each day.

We have no yard so I walk the dog on average 6 times daily.

I try to eat healthy and find creativity in cooking.

I do logic puzzles to try and keep my mind sharp.

Yeah not a lot, but these things are healthy distractions too.
I never thought about finding creativity in cooking!
Buffy01 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Denise27
*I sTAy PrAyEd Up*
 
Denise27's Avatar
Denise27 (((Good Vibes Only)))
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,321 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
158 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Thumbs up Re: Self-care. What do you do?

•Exercise
•Talk therapy
•Posting on Psychcentral when you are down
•Aromatherapy
•Listening to good music
•Watching comedy
•YouTube
•Being around good friends and family
•Massage once a month
•Lovemaking
•Getting at least 8 hr sleep
•Eating healthy
•Stay away from energy vampires
__________________

Self-care. What do you do?Self-care. What do you do?
Denise27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
downandlonely
Poohbah
Chat Moderator
 
downandlonely's Avatar
downandlonely has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 2,901 (SuperPoster!)
1 yr Member
205 hugs
given
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

I try to make sure I have my alone time as well as time with people. I usually try to leave the apartment every day.

I would see a doctor if the bronchitis is going on this long. Are you sure it's not allergies? I was coughing and congested for months because of allergies, but now I'm taking allergy shots and it's helping.
downandlonely is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
daz1056
Junior Member
daz1056 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 18
Default Re: Self-care. What do you do?

I must echo what's already been said. My three main ones are exercise, meditation and meeting family and friends. Connection is the main this for me. Without it I don't know what I would do which is why when I'm feeling under the weather I reach out to people.
daz1056 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.