The Myth of Sex Addiction - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 AM #1
mf1438 mf1438 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 148
mf1438 mf1438 is offline
Member
mf1438 Life gets better everyday, the closer I get to my authentic self.
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 148

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Default The Myth of Sex Addiction

I'm halfway through this book by Dr. David J. Ley. It's amazing.

I self diagnosed with Nonparaphiic Hypersexuality Disorder and now I'm starting to see why it never made it into the DSM-5. After going through counseling, going through SAA and trying my best to make it through recovery,

I'm starting to realize that I got labeled a sex addict because I wanted more sex than my low libido wife. It's not her fault, I've had multiple counselors and they all jumped on the sex addiction bandwagon.

Has anyone else read his book?

The Myth of Sex Addiction

thoughts?
mf1438 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM #2
redCanine3669 redCanine3669 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 304
redCanine3669 redCanine3669 is offline
Member
redCanine3669 is fasting
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 304 (SuperPoster!)

397 hugs
given
Default Re: The Myth of Sex Addiction

I haven't read the book but I've read somewhere that sex addiction isn't considered too seriously sometimes because culture or society can make people feel that their sexual behavior is unacceptable or dangerous. Like some homosexuals can feel hypersexual when they act sexual around a lot of heterosexual men who don't return affection.



Also, sometimes sex is somewhat emphasized or maybe even more strict within marital environments. for instance, I feel I can have sex with as many unmarried women as I want now; but if I were to marry, then I'd no longer be able to have sex with other women because of my religion. In fact, there was some dude on this subforum before who said he didn't have much of an issue with porn until he got into a relationship.


Is "The Myth of Sex Addiction" book available for free, electronically or elsewhere? It sounds interesting.
redCanine3669 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:17 PM #3
mf1438 mf1438 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 148
mf1438 mf1438 is offline
Member
mf1438 Life gets better everyday, the closer I get to my authentic self.
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 148

3 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Default Re: The Myth of Sex Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCanine3669 View Post
I haven't read the book but I've read somewhere that sex addiction isn't considered too seriously sometimes because culture or society can make people feel that their sexual behavior is unacceptable or dangerous. Like some homosexuals can feel hypersexual when they act sexual around a lot of heterosexual men who don't return affection.



Also, sometimes sex is somewhat emphasized or maybe even more strict within marital environments. for instance, I feel I can have sex with as many unmarried women as I want now; but if I were to marry, then I'd no longer be able to have sex with other women because of my religion. In fact, there was some dude on this subforum before who said he didn't have much of an issue with porn until he got into a relationship.


Is "The Myth of Sex Addiction" book available for free, electronically or elsewhere? It sounds interesting.
Nope, book is not available for free, but if you're diagnosed with sex addiction, it is worth the read.
mf1438 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 PM #4
TheNightWhistle's Avatar
TheNightWhistle TheNightWhistle is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 114
TheNightWhistle TheNightWhistle is offline
Member
TheNightWhistle's Avatar
TheNightWhistle Nothing but love to give
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 114 (SuperPoster!)

42 hugs
given
Default Re: The Myth of Sex Addiction

I've never read that book but I can tell you that I stopped believing in sex addiction as soon as Harvey Weinstein started using it as an excuse for sexually harassing all those actresses.
__________________
"If you don't like something, change it, and if you can't change it, change your attitude." - Maya Angelou
TheNightWhistle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 03-29-2019, 11:41 AM #5
redCanine3669 redCanine3669 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 304
redCanine3669 redCanine3669 is offline
Member
redCanine3669 is fasting
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 304 (SuperPoster!)

397 hugs
given
Default Re: The Myth of Sex Addiction

a sexual addiction does not excuse sexual harassment though. it's like excusing a fatal hit and run on an alcohol addiction. trust me, it might lessen a sentence, but i know many men who've been arrested and fired for sexual harassment, some of whom harassed multiple women.
redCanine3669 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:00 PM #6
TheNightWhistle's Avatar
TheNightWhistle TheNightWhistle is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 114
TheNightWhistle TheNightWhistle is offline
Member
TheNightWhistle's Avatar
TheNightWhistle Nothing but love to give
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 114 (SuperPoster!)

42 hugs
given
Default Re: The Myth of Sex Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCanine3669 View Post
a sexual addiction does not excuse sexual harassment though. it's like excusing a fatal hit and run on an alcohol addiction. trust me, it might lessen a sentence, but i know many men who've been arrested and fired for sexual harassment, some of whom harassed multiple women.
Good! They deserve to be fired.

I guess you could say you're addicted to anything but there's a reason why that specific addiction has never made it into the DSM.
__________________
"If you don't like something, change it, and if you can't change it, change your attitude." - Maya Angelou
TheNightWhistle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 PM #7
redCanine3669 redCanine3669 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 304
redCanine3669 redCanine3669 is offline
Member
redCanine3669 is fasting
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 304 (SuperPoster!)

397 hugs
given
Default Re: The Myth of Sex Addiction

well, classified or not, it can be very important for men to realize the risk of their sexuality and to openly talk of their sexual health. some men who undermine their dangerous sexual behaviors can find themselves getting into trouble. Even before the #MeToo movement, some men were being reprimanded or burned to death for rape and adultery that could've been prevented. it's truly a sad thing when a man is destroyed for something as simple as not keeping his pants on. clearly it's sometimes an issue that could've been prevented through some form of sexual education, if the man was lucky enough to have parents who taught that.
redCanine3669 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:15 PM #8
TheNightWhistle's Avatar
TheNightWhistle TheNightWhistle is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 114
TheNightWhistle TheNightWhistle is offline
Member
TheNightWhistle's Avatar
TheNightWhistle Nothing but love to give
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Montreal
Posts: 114 (SuperPoster!)

42 hugs
given
Default Re: The Myth of Sex Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCanine3669 View Post
well, classified or not, it can be very important for men to realize the risk of their sexuality and to openly talk of their sexual health. some men who undermine their dangerous sexual behaviors can find themselves getting into trouble. Even before the #MeToo movement, some men were being reprimanded or burned to death for rape and adultery that could've been prevented. it's truly a sad thing when a man is destroyed for something as simple as not keeping his pants on. clearly it's sometimes an issue that could've been prevented through some form of sexual education, if the man was lucky enough to have parents who taught that.
Yeah I see what you mean but we can say the same thing about murderers. Somebody obviously didn't get enough hugs as kid if they do something like that.
__________________
"If you don't like something, change it, and if you can't change it, change your attitude." - Maya Angelou
TheNightWhistle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.