How do you deal with small nasty comments? - Forums at Psych Central



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM #1
Anonymous56870
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Anonymous56870
Guest
Anonymous56870 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a

Default How do you deal with small nasty comments?

I lived through a situation that kind of exposed me publically to quite a large number of people in my community. Some like me while others are jealous and take every opportunity to turn things around and say something nasty. Like they talk whatever but they talk about me and say small nasty comments about my career or about my psychology. I dont care personally because as long as they are powerless against me, i dont care. But its just the words.. the talking...that bothers me. I lack self confidence... so this small talk contributes to lowering my self confidence. I am tired to fight against it all the time. I dont know how to respond. Should I ? i even thought about talking to the police haha... i dont know what to do!! I am so tired!!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 08-06-2018, 03:22 PM #2
Skeezyks's Avatar
Skeezyks Skeezyks is offline
Apparition
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 17,536
Skeezyks Skeezyks is offline
Apparition
Skeezyks's Avatar
Skeezyks has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 17,536 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
13k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

Gee... I wish I knew what to tell you about this. But I don't imagine I do. However I noticed no one had replied to your post. So I thought I would.

I guess my thinking on the subject would be that you should not respond. "Getting your goat", so to speak, is probably just what these people want. So perhaps the answer here is to simply ignore them. And then if you are seeing a therapist take the opportunity to talk, in therapy, about how all of this makes you feel.

I know you wrote you don't care. But I would suspect that on some level you do. And these sorts of things hurt even if you tell yourself they don't. It's important to have someone with whom you can process this. However my personal bias is that you can't do this with family members or friends. So therapy, it seems to me, may be the alternative.

Beyond that, I suspect the answer here may be to simply focus on your life, your activities & your goals. Ultimately you can't control what other people say or do. You only have control over yourself. So concentrating on what you want to achieve in your life, & simply ignoring the "tongue waggers", may be the best or at least the most practical solution. I wish you well...
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-29-2018, 02:17 PM #3
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
3,628 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma345 View Post
I lived through a situation that kind of exposed me publically to quite a large number of people in my community. Some like me while others are jealous and take every opportunity to turn things around and say something nasty. Like they talk whatever but they talk about me and say small nasty comments about my career or about my psychology. I dont care personally because as long as they are powerless against me, i dont care. But its just the words.. the talking...that bothers me. I lack self confidence... so this small talk contributes to lowering my self confidence. I am tired to fight against it all the time. I dont know how to respond. Should I ? i even thought about talking to the police haha... i dont know what to do!! I am so tired!!
You are not alone! I'm sorry that you are struggling right now. I'm going through this with myself!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:21 PM #4
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
3,628 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Gee... I wish I knew what to tell you about this. But I don't imagine I do. However I noticed no one had replied to your post. So I thought I would.

I guess my thinking on the subject would be that you should not respond. "Getting your goat", so to speak, is probably just what these people want. So perhaps the answer here is to simply ignore them. And then if you are seeing a therapist take the opportunity to talk, in therapy, about how all of this makes you feel.

I know you wrote you don't care. But I would suspect that on some level you do. And these sorts of things hurt even if you tell yourself they don't. It's important to have someone with whom you can process this. However my personal bias is that you can't do this with family members or friends. So therapy, it seems to me, may be the alternative.

Beyond that, I suspect the answer here may be to simply focus on your life, your activities & your goals. Ultimately you can't control what other people say or do. You only have control over yourself. So concentrating on what you want to achieve in your life, & simply ignoring the "tongue waggers", may be the best or at least the most practical solution. I wish you well...
That is great advice! I wish that I had thought about that myself! I will keep this in mind.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:33 AM #5
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Magnate
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,135
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Magnate
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,135 (SuperPoster!)

107 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

I think Id i had more context then it might be easier for me to come up with something. I dont mean your personal business I just mean generally.
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-30-2018, 01:36 PM #6
KD1980's Avatar
KD1980 KD1980 is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 238
KD1980 KD1980 is offline
Member
KD1980's Avatar
KD1980 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 238

817 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

I comfort myself by telling myself that at least I'm not as petty as they are. They are hurting themselves and living a lesser life by being so small minded and gossipy. You are better than them. 💜
KD1980 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM #7
ennie's Avatar
ennie ennie is offline
Grand Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: United States of America
Posts: 801
ennie ennie is offline
Grand Member
ennie's Avatar
ennie has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: United States of America
Posts: 801 (SuperPoster!)

1,712 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD1980 View Post
I comfort myself by telling myself that at least I'm not as petty as they are. They are hurting themselves and living a lesser life by being so small minded and gossipy. You are better than them. 💜
Yes. You are not the one making the nasty comments, because you have way better things to do with your time than to gossip. Don't give them attention because they are simply not worth your time.
ennie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 AM #8
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Magnate
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,135
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Magnate
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,135 (SuperPoster!)

107 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

I also think it depends on whether the comments are harassing or not. Are they slanderous? Or basic gossip?
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 05:40 PM #9
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
3,628 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I think Id i had more context then it might be easier for me to come up with something. I dont mean your personal business I just mean generally.
I should tell myself it not personal it business
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM #10
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490
Buffy01 Buffy01 is offline
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,490 (SuperPoster!)

1 yr Member
3,628 hugs
given
Default Re: How do you deal with small nasty comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennie View Post
Yes. You are not the one making the nasty comments, because you have way better things to do with your time than to gossip. Don't give them attention because they are simply not worth your time.
That is great advice!I wish that I had thought about that myself!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

advertisement

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.